Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
3195632

I have recently replace several brake lines on my 93 ford taurus

I have recently replace several brake lines on my 93 ford taurus which included 5 lines from the hydraulic control unit. (Had no choice, lines rusted) The repair manual said to remove the electric plug from the HCU and simply plug in a switch to bleed the unit. I have no switch and would like to know if I can put 12 volts to a wire to start the pump motor and or bleed valve. Thanks, Dan
Submitted: 4 years ago via Automotix.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

Ok, it is not a simple on/off switch that is used. It is a special Anti-Lock Brake Breakout box/Bleeding adaptor that is used. It controls the actual bleeding of the ABS unit, nut jst supplying power to it. Straightwiring from a 12v source will only short out your ABS unit, PLEASE do not do this unless you want to buy a new ABS unit.

Bleeding procedure:

The anti-lock brake system must be bled in 2 steps; both the master cylinder and hydraulic control unit reservoir must be bled using Rotunda Anti-Lock Brake Breakout Box/Bleeding Adapter tool No. T90P-50-ALA or equivalent. If this procedure is not followed, air will be trapped in the hydraulic control unit, and will eventually lead to a spongy brake pedal.

1. Disconnect the 55-pin plug from the electronic control unit/ABS control module, then install Anti-Lock Brake Breakout Box/Bleeding Adapter tool No. T90P-50-ALA or equivalent to the wire harness 55-pin plug.
    1. Place the Bleed/Harness switch in the BLEED position.
    2. Turn the ignition to the ON position. At this point the red OFF light should come ON.
    3. Push the motor button on the adapter down to start the pump motor. The red OFF light will turn OFF, and the green ON light will turn ON. The pump motor will run for 60 seconds after the motor button is pushed. If the pump motor is to be turned off for any reason before the 60 seconds have elapsed, push the abort button to turn the pump motor off.
    4. After 20 seconds of pump motor operation, push and hold the valve button down. Hold the valve button down for 20 seconds, then release it.
    5. The pump motor will continue to run for an additional 20 seconds after the valve button is released.

2. The brake lines can now be bled in the normal fashion. Bleed the brake system by removing the rubber dust cap from the caliper fitting at the right rear of the vehicle. Place a suitable box wrench on the bleeder fitting and attach a rubber drain tube to the fitting. The end of the tube should fit snugly around the bleeder fitting. Submerge the other end of the tube in a container partially filled with clean brake fluid and loosen the fitting 3 / 4 turn.
  3. Have an assistant push the brake pedal down slowly through its full travel. Close the bleeder fitting and allow the pedal to slowly return to its full release position. Wait 5 seconds and repeat the procedure until no bubbles appear at the submerged end of the bleeder tube. Secure the bleeder fitting and remove the bleeder tube. Install the rubber dust cap on the bleeder fitting.
  4. Repeat the bleeding procedure at the left front, left rear and right front (in that order). Refill the master cylinder reservoir after each caliper has been bled, and install the master cylinder cap and gasket. When brake bleeding is completed, the fluid level should be filled to the maximum level indicated on the reservoir.
  5. Always make sure the disc brake pistons are returned to their normal positions by depressing the brake pedal several times until normal pedal travel is established. If the pedal feels spongy, repeat the bleeding procedure.

First, check the Autozone and Discount Auto Parts near you. Some locations rent this special Breakout Box/Bleeding Adaptor.

If they dont have one. You have 2 choices:

1. tow it into a shop that has this tool and pay 1 hr labor for it be computer bled.
  2. Bleed conventially, and then use jack stands and get all 4 tires in the air. Start engine and put in gear, press accelerator until speedometer says 20-25mph. Now, slam on brakes. Repeat several times until you hear ABS motor engage. Now, rebleed conventially. Although this doesnt work everytime and you may have to have it computer bled, you have about a 60% chance of it working and saving you the money and time of having it computer bled.
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician