kevin, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  7 years

Oil in the radiator of my 1999 Mustang, 3.8L V6. Pulled the

Customer Question

Oil in the radiator of my 1999 Mustang, 3.8L V6. Pulled the up and lower intakes and found what looks to be coolant transfer where the lower intake manifold gaskets have failed between the #1 and #4 cylinders intake ports and the cooling jackets on the cylinder heads. Would this cause oil or a slick/milky brown residue in the radiator or is there a bigger problem? I did a compression test and received the following readings (in PSI), #1 - 190 #2 - 180 #3 - 190 #4 - 190 #5 - 180 #6 - 190. To me this doesn't look like a head gaskets problem, however is it possible that a head gasket failed between the cooling port and oiling port? I also have to add that I did not find any coolant or water in the oil while draining it out.
Category: Ford
Expert:  kevin replied 6 years ago.
It would be the other way around, failed intake gaskets would only allow coolant into the oil, its more than likely the cylinder head gaskets would cause the oil to get into the coolant,there are only coolant jackets that run through the lower intake