Ray M.
Ray M., Ford Master Tech
Experience:  30+ years in trade, Ford Master Tech, Journeyman Automotive Tech
11409661

Ford: 7.3 powerstroke..an oil leak from upper rear..proceedure

ford 7.3 powerstroke has an oil leak from upper rear of motor.
I need step by step proceedure to fix this problem.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ray M. replied 5 years ago.
can you tell where it looks like it is coming from,the head area,or running down from the center of the engine?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

seems to run down the rear of the motor between the fire wall and the heads and drips off the flywheel cover.

It continues to drip long after the engine is stopped .

Expert:  Ray M. replied 5 years ago.
check at the front of the engine where the oil lines come out of the high pressure oil pump.I suspect it is the orings that have blown out.Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

thanks I will check it out and let you know.

the other posibility could there be a plug or plate at the rear of the heads or valley cover?? bad gasket

Lloyd

Expert:  Ray M. replied 5 years ago.
Yes there are large round plugs in each end of both heads for the high pressure oil gallery,these have orings on them that will also blow out and leak.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I think these rear plugs are the problem.

back to my question, how do I get to these plugs??

Expert:  Ray M. replied 5 years ago.

They have a 1/2" square hole in them that a 1/2" drive ratchet or power bar will fit into,they are tight on the back side of the head but i\they can be removed with this tool and replaced,the new style has a better oring setup to prevent this leak again.you will have to feel around to find the plug and then break them loose,then you should be able to turn it out with your fingers.The plugs are in the ends of the head highlighted by #5 in this picture.

Section 03-01D: Engine, Diesel, 7.3L1996 Bronco/F-Series Workshop Manual
DESCRIPTION AND OPERATIONProcedure revision date: 05/18/2000

Lubrication System - 7.3L Diesel Engine

Low-Pressure System

The lubrication system is comprised of a low-pressure system and a high-pressure system. The low-pressure system provides primary engine lubrication while the high-pressure system provides the hydraulic pressure required to actuate the fuel injectors. The low-pressure system consists of the following:

• Oil pump screen cover and tube (6622)
  • Gerotor oil pump
  • Oil cooler and filter assembly

The low-pressure lubricating system draws oil from the engine oil pan (6675) through the oil pump screen cover and tube, into the oil inlet passage in the front cover. The gerotor oil pump then pumps the oil back out through the outlet passage in the front cover. The oil separates into two paths. One flow path sends oil into the high-pressure pump reservoir initial feed galley (integral to the cylinder block) and through the anti-drain back check ball. During cold start the oil feeds in two directions from the anti-drain back check ball. One feed leaves the check ball and enters the front cover. From there it enters the high-pressure oil reservoir. The second feed exits the check ball and enters the left bank valve lifter oil galley. After leaving the front cover outlet passage, the second oil path sends the oil through the oil cooler and filter assembly. Once inside the filter housing the oil filter bypass valve may open to vent excess pressure and oil back into the oil pan. After the oil has been circulated through the oil filter (6731), the oil feed then enters the main oil galley (integral to the cylinder block). Once in the main oil galley the oil is routed to the five crankshaft main bearing (6333) through five drilled and machined feed galleys (integral to the cylinder block). The five camshaft bearings receive the oil feed through five vertical drilled and machined feed galleys connected to the main bearing feed galleys. The front main bearing feed galley also supplies oil to the right bank valve lifter oil galley through a vertically drilled and machined oil feed galley (integral to the cylinder block). The rear main bearing oil feed galley also supplies oil to the turbocharger assembly through a vertically drilled and machined oil feed galley (integral to the cylinder block). Pressurized oil entering the turbocharger assembly is utilized to actuate the exhaust back pressure warm-up system. The oil drains back through the turbocharger mounting pedestal and back into the oil pan. The valve lifter oil galley supplies pressurized oil to the valve tappet (6500) and to the piston cooling oil jets. Oil from the valve tappets is routed upward to the cylinder head valve train through hollow push rods (6565). Once in the cylinder head (6049), the oil drains back to the oil pan through return ports at each end of the cylinder head.

Low-Pressure Oil Flow 7.3L

ItemPart NumberDescription
1 6658 High-Pressure Oil Pump Reservoir
2 6010 Cylinder Block
3 - Anti-Drain Check Ball (Part of 6658)
4 - Valve Lifter Oil Galleys (Part of 6010)
5 6C327 Piston Cooling Oil Jets
6 - Turbocharger Oil Return Galley (Part of 6010)
7 - Turbocharger Oil Supply Galley (Part of 6010)
8 - Pressure Relief/Regulator Valve (Part of 9155)
9 - Oil Filter Bypass Drain (Part of 6881)
10 - Main Oil Galley (Part of 6010)
11 6A642 Oil Cooler
12 6881 Oil Cooler Header
13 6622 Oil Pump Screen Cover and Tube
14 6608 Gerotor Oil Pump
15 6019 Engine Front Cover

High-Pressure System

The high-pressure system consists of:

• An injection control pressure sensor
  • An injection pressure regulator
  • A high-pressure oil pump (6600)
  • A left cylinder head high-pressure feed hose
  • A right cylinder head high-pressure feed hose
  • A high-pressure oil rail (integral to the cylinder heads)
  • An oil pressure sensor (9278)

During initial start or cold start the high-pressure oil pump receives unfiltered oil from the left side valve lifter oil galley through the anti-drain back check ball valve. Once the engine starts or during warm engine starts the check ball closes and the high-pressure oil pump receives filtered oil from the high-pressure oil pump reservoir. The high-pressure oil pump pumps the oil under extremely high pressures (4115-20577 kPa [(NNN) NNN-NNNNpsi]) through the left and right side pressure oil rails (integral to the cylinder heads). Once in the oil rail the oil is fed to the fuel injector bores through four oil feed galleys drilled and machined in the cylinder head. The high-pressure oil then actuates the fuel injectors (9F593).

High-Pressure Oil Flow - 7.3L

ItemPart NumberDescription
1 9278 Oil Pressure Sensor
2 6600 High-Pressure Oil Pump
3 6049 Cylinder Head
4 9A332 High-Pressure Oil Feed Hoses
5 - High-Pressure Oil Rail (Part of 6049)
6 - Injector Oil Feed Galleys (Part of 6049)
7 9F593 Fuel Injector (8 Required)
8 9F838 Injection Control Pressure Sensor
9 - Injection Pressure Regulator (Part of 6600)
10 6019 Engine Front Cover
11 6658 High-Pressure Oil Pump Reservoir

Ray M., Ford Master Tech
Experience: 30+ years in trade, Ford Master Tech, Journeyman Automotive Tech