Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

88 ford ranger: two fuel pumps one in the tank and one..wont start

have a 88 ford ranger with two fuel pumps one in the tank and one on the frame this also is a 4/4 the problem is it wont start some times and then it srarts all the time?so i hooked up a live wire to the fuel pump on the outside and that seemed to help ut the problemm started again need your help and i can fix cars greg
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

When it dosnt start , do you hear the fuel pumps cycle on?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes the one in the tank is on right now but the one on the frame wont kick on until i hook up the live wire to it also the switch is off if this helps
Expert:  Ron replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer

Both fuel pumps share the same power supply so if one is running and the other isnt then you have an open circuit in between the 2 pumps. I am sending you the diagram for the fuel pump circuit. I would start with making sure you have 12 volts at the Frame pump. The Black/Pink is the power wire, the black is the ground.

graphicgraphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ill check it right now hang on a sec
Expert:  Ron replied 7 years ago.
No problem, let me know . I am here.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes there is power there but this truck doesnt do this all the time just once in a while dont really know what does this ?
Expert:  Ron replied 7 years ago.
If you have power there, the pump should run , does it?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes but the power is not there when the truck wont run thats why i have the wire running to it because i can feel it when its on
Expert:  Ron replied 7 years ago.
Ok then I would have a hard look at the inertia switch and make sure the connector isnt burned, if it looks ok, then the 1988 had know issues with the PCM not grounding the fuel pump relay, when it dosnt start, run a ground wire to the fuel pump relay on the tan/green wire and see if the pump runs, if so you have a bad PCM.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

what is the pcm is this the computer box on the left hand side off the truck in the inside

Expert:  Ron replied 7 years ago.

Yes the PCM is the computer. Its located in the right side kick panel just under the glove box.

graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
okay how much are you going to charge me for this info
Expert:  Ron replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer

You are not charged until you hit the accept button and in this case you have deposited $15.00 . That would be the cost.