Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Service manager of Firestone

Im getting a fuel system #1 Open Loop Fault with DTC P1132

Customer Question

Im getting a fuel system #1 Open Loop Fault with DTC P1132 and P1152 what would cause this
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
Ford Ranger?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
1999 ford ranger XLT
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX the injectors replaced?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I replaced the injectors with Motorcraft remanufactured injectors.
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
ok, making sure becuase an injector from a 98 is different. They should have Light Green tops, and the Ford number on the injectors should be F87E-BA.
Either way let's move on, These are both possibly o2 codes, but seeing them together at the same time makes me suspicious it's something else. If I see these codes individually, I would jump to replace the o2 sensors.
Here are the possible causes of the codes.
* Base engine mechanical fault (e.g., compression, valve timing)
* Check air cleaner element and air cleaner housing for blockage
* EVAP vapor recovery system has failed (canister full of fuel)
* Fuel pressure too high, contaminated or leaking fuel injectors
* HO2S has failed (it may be contaminated with fuel, silicone or water)

Check the fuel pressure. Also, clean the mass air flow sensor because a faulty reading can cause the long term fuel trims to run rich.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The drivability issue is after about 2500rpm blows black smoke. seems to run better when cold. idle surges up/down etc

Does the list of simptoms help any I connect OBD tester the O2S11 & O2S12 show zero volts i found that to be strange
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
That's interesting. It sounds like a pcm in that case. Is this truck Flex Fuel?
Let's rule out everything before I kill the pcm for being bad.
Try cleaning the mass air flow sensor. Or get the problem to duplicate and unplug the sensor, see if it calms down.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it is not flex fuel. I do not understand the "get the problem to duplicate" its always there...
I started thinking the ground to the PCM but that doesn't make sense any more. The scan tool showed the MAF sensor working properly. Could it be O2 sensors, weard that all three would show zero volts ? that vehicle has 3.

The dam thing ran fine after replacing injectors etc. The reason the Inj. were replaced was It had a DTC code of lean in bank 2 which turned out to be a bad injector. Ran fine for 3 weeks and the alternator went bad this problem seems to have started when the Alt went bad but the could be a coincidence. I will say that when I removed the upper plenum to replace the injectors i cleaned the carbon etc with gum out but again after inj install was complete it ran like a millon bucks. It makes no sense !I could buy the fuel presure reg being bad but it seems it would blow black smoke at idle as well. I was thinking ground or noise in the wiring harness because its like the injectors are openning more then the PCM is telling them to. let me connect the scan tool and see if i can send you the resaults.
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
Let me know!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Let you know what ?
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
Follow up from the last post. Actually last night I got to thinking. The pcm thinks 0 volts to the o2 sensors. Check directly and see if it is infact 0v. If it isn't I bet the pcm has failed.