Mazda Ed
Mazda Ed, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Mazda Master Technician, GM and Ford factory trained. 15 years experience.

1998 ford escort: rear window..smell wires getting hot under dash

Customer Question

1998 ford escort wagon. rear wiper was blowing fuses. rear window defogger had
a short and could smell wires getting hot under dash. checked relays for power
windows and heater blower both okay. problem now- power windows, front and
rear wipers, and heater/ac blower continue to have power even after the main
ignition switch is off and key removed. if I dont turn blower selector to off, it will
continue to run and kill my battery overnight. can you offer suggestion what is
causing this.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 6 years ago.

Hi mark srmstrong216!

First, remove the wiper fuse and see if the blower stops working. If it does not then remove the blower motor relay from the relay box and check again. We need to see if we have a wire that is shorted or possibly a relay that has shorted contacts and this will help us narrow it down.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I already checked both the relays for the front wipers and the heater blower which are
located under the left dash above the fuse panel. i opened them up and they were not damaged. the red button on both was still pushed in and completed the circuit. when
i pulled the red button out, it broke the circuit and no power to wipers or blower, so i
know the relays are ok. i pulled the fuse to rear wiper and heater blower still runs??
I really feel the problem is in the ignition switch, not necessarily the part where the key
goes in and turns, but in the wiring that goes from it down under the dash, i can see
the various white plastic plugs that hook together but without a wiring diagram i have
no idea what the plugs go to. i cannot see any damage to the wires or plugs that might
indicate where they melted together. i was hoping this was something that could be
solved fairly simply but i think it is going to require extensive diagnostic evaluation.
if a repair shop cannot fix it within a reasonable price i guess i will have to live with it.
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 6 years ago.
Stick with me on this. I'm on my way out the door for work right now but I will be back on tonight when I get home. It sounds like the items you checked were circuit breakers. A relay doesn't have a red reset button. I will walk you through this further later on tonight.