john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech over 15 years in the field
6149662

how do i remove the rear axle from a 1998 ford ranger/ Do i

how do i remove the rear axle from a 1998 ford ranger/ Do i have to take the cover off and is there a clip??
Thanks
Category: Ford
Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 5 years ago.

yes the cover and the pin needs to be pulled

Axle Shaft, Conventional Fixed/Floating
Notes

REMOVAL

1. Raise and support the vehicle.
  2. Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
  3. Remove the axle housing cover and drain the lubricant.
  4. Remove the rear brake drums.

1. Remove the differential pinion shaft.
  1. Remove the differential pinion shaft lock bolt.
  2. Remove the differential pinion shaft.

1. Remove the u-washers.
  1. Push the axle shafts inboard.
  2. Remove the u-washers. CAUTION: Do not damage the rubber O-rings in the axle shaft grooves.

1. Remove the two axle shafts. CAUTION: Do not damage the inner wheel bearing oil seal.

INSTALLATION

1. Lubricate the lip of the inner wheel bearing oil seal
    • Use Premium Long-Life Grease XG-1-C or equivalent meeting Ford specification ESA-MIC75-B.

1. Install the two axle shafts. CAUTION: Do not damage the inner wheel bearing oil seal.

1. Install the u-washers.
  1. Position the two u-washers on the button end of the axle shafts.
  2. Pull the axle shafts outward. CAUTION: Do not damage the rubber O-rings in the axle shaft grooves.

1. Install the differential pinion shaft.
  1. Align the hole in the differential pinion shaft with the case lock bolt hole.
  2. Install the differential pinion shaft lock bolt.
  1. Install the rear brake drums.
  2. Install the axle housing cover and fill the rear axle housing with 2.37 liters (5 pints) of Thermally Stable Rear Axle Lubricant XY-8OW90-QL or equivalent meeting Ford specification WSP-M2C197-A.
  3. Clean the wheel hub and mounting surfaces. WARNING: ALWAYS REMOVE ANY CORROSION, DIRT OR FOREIGN MATERIAL PRESENT ON THE MOUNTING SURFACES OF THE WHEEL OR THE SURFACE OF THE WHEEL HUB OR BRAKE DRUM THAT CONTACTS THE WHEEL. INSTALLING WHEELS WITHOUT PROPER METAL-TO-METAL CONTACT AT THE WHEEL MOUNTING SURFACES CAN CAUSE THE LUG NUT TO LOOSEN AND THE WHEEL TO COME OFF WHILE THE VEHICLE IS IN MOTION, CAUSING LOSS OF CONTROL.

1. Install the tire and wheel assembly.
  1. Position the tire and wheel assembly.
  2. Install the lug nuts and lower the vehicle.
  3. Tighten the lug nuts.
  4. Install the center cap.
  1. Lower the vehicle.

john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience: ase tech over 15 years in the field