RJ, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford senior master and ase master certified 19years Ford dealership experience

I need to replace parking brake shoes on my F250 Super duty

I need to replace parking brake shoes on my F250 Super duty Truck, how do you get access to springs and retainers"? Do you need to pull axle shaft? or is ther a special tool?
Category: Ford
Expert:  RJ replied 6 years ago.

There are not any trick tools, the easiest way is to remove the axles and wheel brg hub assembly this opens it up so you can get them on and off with only a small amount of blood shed and greif. A small pair of needle nose pliers certainly aid in the removal and installation of the springs as standard brake tools just dont work well on the small springs. Just wondering though are the shoes down metal to metal ? And does the e-brake function? If they are not worn out and function then dont worry about rust they are not your primary brakes and will hold just fine with some rust on the hardware.