A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

1997 Lincoln Town Car: one exception.The car stalls

Customer Question

I own a 1997 Lincoln Town Car. It is very nice and runs very well with one exception.
The car stalls. It usually happens when I am going very slow as in turning a corner in traffic or standing at a traffic light.
I have been to several mechanics, good shops with the latest equipment.
They run the car on thier computers and find nothing wrong. They do not know what to do.
Today, the car stalled while I was driving through the Lincoln Tunnel at about 25 MPH. That's scary. It starts up right away but I should not have to live with a car that stalls almost every day.
Can you make any suggestions?
Note: I have not taken the car to a Lincoln Dealer because they charge $90.00
an hour to look into the problem without any guarantee that they can fix it.
Thank you,
Skip Zarra
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 7 years ago.

HelloCustomer

I would start by looking at the oil filler cap, make sure it's tight and clicks. Also check the PCV hoses from the valve cover to the engine. You may have a malfunctioning IAC (Idle AIr Control) valve. It is mounted th the throttle body on the intake. It meters air into the engine whenever your foot is off the gas pedal to allow air to enter the engine. It make check out ok, but that is when it doesn't stall. It will not always set a code either for the check engine light. You can try removing it and cleaning it out and also cleaning out the throttle body of the soot and gunk. Below is a picture of where the IAC is located.

graphic

Cleaning it out is a cheap and easy fix you can do yourself. If it fixed the problem, replace the IAC with a factory IAC.