Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

where is the fuel pump reset switch on a 1996 ford van located?

Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

The inertia switch is located behind the RH cowl panel. If the switch isnt tripped, take a 12 volt test light and check to see if you have 12 volts on both sides of the connector while cranking the engine over.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

where is the cowl panel located, inside the van or outside under the hood? I tried the diagram and could not tell, thanks Ron. Blessings! "+"

Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.
Its on the passenger side right below the dash .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Ron, I found it. I have power to one side of the plug as the power indicater lights up however, it does not light up for the other side of the plug? Whats next...
Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer

Providing the button is all the way down and you are checking it while cranking , this would mean it is bad. You need 12 volts on both side to feed the pump voltage. Unplug it and take a jumper wire and jump it and see if the pump runs and the van starts.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry this is taking time, I am having to go out to the garage and try these things. I want to make sure I have this right. The plug that goes into the fuel pump reset switch is unplugged. The green wire has power, the red wire does not show any power when I crank the engine. The reset switch was down so no problem there. When you say take a jumper wire to see if it starts, do you want me to plug the plug back in, splice into the red wire with no power and run the wire to another red wire that is getting power?

Just making sure I am doing this right. The plug itself as you are aware is bundled in with many other wires that run up into the dash so I am trying to make sure to do this correctly. Awaiting your response.

Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer

You are only going to have 12 volts on one side with it unplugged and cranking , you should have 12 volts on both sides plugged in and cranking. If not then yes ,unplug it and jump across the connector, if the switch is bad it should run the pump and start the truck.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Power goes to both side when plugged in and the switch did not need resetting. It starts right up after it sits for a while but if you drive it for more than a few minutes and shut it off and try to restart it just turns over like it is starving for fuel. When it does finally start, black smoke comes from the tail pipe for a second but it will run just fine...any suggestions?

Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer

I would start with rechecking voltage in and out of the switch when it dosnt want to start, if its checks ok, then I would have a look at fuel pressure at the fuel rail service port, you need to see 32 to 35 PSI, the 1996 had know issues with leaking fuel pressure regulator. Take a look at the fuel pressure regulator by pulling the vacuum line off and see if there any signs of fuel.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs