autodoc_2000
autodoc_2000, Auto Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech W/Advanced Engine Performance, Ford Senior Master Certification
157591

Engine identification number on a 1988 ford 302 HO motor located?

Where is the engine identification number on a 1988 ford 302 HO motor located?
Category: Ford
Expert:  autodoc_2000 replied 7 years ago.
The engine number is XXXXX on the passenger side of the block. Remove the starter to see it.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Are you sure that it is located behind the starter ? A Ford parts clerk indicated it would be on the back of the driver side valve cover. It is important since I have to pay someone to remove either the starter or the valve cover in order to find this number since I cannot register the vehicle without it(engine ID ). Thanks
The engine casting number is XXXXX behind the starter. With your last reply I believe you are looking for the emission calibration sticker. If this is correct it is located on the valve cover. It is a white sticker. The problem is if anyone ever replaced valve cover gaskets or cleaned the engine down with degreaser the information may be gone from the sticker. It may just be a white sticker with no information on it. If that is the case there is not a whole lot you can do because Ford dealers cannot even access this information anymore. The Ford system Oasis only goes back about 10 years. You may be able to see the sticker with a flashlight and a mirror to prevent having to remove the valve cover.