Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Service manager of Firestone
9949505

2005 FORD EXPLORER: 65/55) mpr SUSPECT FUEL PUMP

2005 FORD EXPLORER 4.6 ENGINE 40,000 MILES SHUTS DOWN AFTER COMING DOWN FROM HIGH SPEED (65/55) MPR SUSPECT FUEL PUMP ???
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim West replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for visiting JA.com
When the vehicle shuts down, are you losing all the electricals as well? Or is the engine stalling.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

HAVE ALL ELECTRIAL .ENGINE TRYS TO START FOR 1 TO 2 SECONDS

Expert:  Tim West replied 7 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX't suspect a fuel pump. I would check the fuel pressure in the vehicle when the problem happens. I suspect a throttle body issue or vacuum leak. I understand you already cleaned the throttle body, but if the throttle is binding, or the throttle motor is weak it's going to need to be replaced. Or possibly reprogram the pcm. There is a service bulletin on the pcm reflash. Is there a check engine light on?

1.Check for any air induction leaks or vacuum leaks and repair as needed.

2. If there are no air leaks, check for excessively dirty throttle plates. If dirty, carefully clean and recheck operation. If the throttle plates look OK, suspect a faulty throttle body (binding throttle plate, weak throttle motor, etc.).If cleaning the throttle body does not resolve the concern, reprogram the Powertrain Control Module per TSB 08-18-2
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no check engine lite came on . had vehicle towed . it started when coming off rollback
Expert:  Tim West replied 7 years ago.
Yea, the problem has a history of being intermittent with other vehicles, but definately when slowing down the vehicle.
I would try cleaning the throttle again, just be careful with it. See if the problem becomes resolved. Like I said it might fix the throttle if it's very dirty causing slow throttle response.