Ford snr master
Ford snr master, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  14 years at same Ford dealer,senior master and ASE master certified,hybrid certified,SYNC certified,10 year master's tenure
21020025

2006 Ford: Pickup..Airbag..diagnosing..I dont hav a scan tool that

I've got a 2006 Ford Pickup that has an Airbag Flash code 18. What would be my best way to start diagnosing this. I don't hav a scan tool that will give me a hard code.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ford snr master replied 4 years ago.

good evening and thank you for inquiring with JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX i will be the technician assisting you today. Below i have included the lamp flashcode chart for you to review. Code 18 referrs to a fault with the passsenger airbag deactivation lamp. It could be one of 2 faults as you can see in the chart, but the use of the ford scantool will be required to determine the fault. Most likely if the lamp does not come on first check to see if it is unplugged, if not then it could be the lamp itself or a broken wire from the module to the lamp, though that is unlikely

Restraints Control Module (RCM) Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Table

DTCa LFCb DescriptionAction To Take
-ContinuousThe Air Bag Warning Indicator is Illuminated Continuously - RCM Disconnected or Inoperative, Loss of Battery Feed or Loss of Signal GroundGO to Pinpoint Test A.
B123113Crash Data Memory FullInstall a new RCM and impact sensor. REFER to Inspection and Repair After a Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) Deployment.
B1317ContinuousBattery Voltage HighCHECK battery voltage. Should be below 16 volts. REFER to Section 414-00.
B1318ContinuousBattery Voltage LowCHECK battery voltage. Should be above 9.0 volts. REFER to Section 414-00.
B134212RCM Is FaultedInstall a new RCM. REFER to Restraints Control Module (RCM).
B1869NONE

Continuous lamp

Secondary air bag warning sounds if another fault is present
Air Bag Warning Indicator Circuit Open or Short to GroundGO to Pinpoint Test B.
B1870NONE

Air Bag Warning Indicator Circuit Short to BatteryGO to Pinpoint Test C.
B188418PAD Warning Lamp Circuit FailureGO to Pinpoint Test D.
B189018PAD Warning Lamp Circuit Short to BatteryGO to Pinpoint Test E.
B189153Air Bag Tone Warning Indicator Circuit Short to BatteryGO to Pinpoint Test F.
B189253Air Bag Tone Warning Indicator Circuit Short to Ground or OpenGO to Pinpoint Test G.
B192114Air Bag Diagnostic Monitor Ground Circuit OpenGO to Pinpoint Test H.
B229016Occupant Classification System FaultGO to Pinpoint Test I.
B229233Restraint System - Safety Belt Pretensioner Fault (Driver Pretensioner Circuit Fault)GO to Pinpoint Test J.
B229234Restraint System - Safety Belt Pretensioner Fault (Passenger Pretensioner Circuit Fault)GO to Pinpoint Test J.
B229319Restraint System - Air Bag Fault (Driver Front Air Bag Circuit Fault)GO to Pinpoint Test K.
B229321Restraint System - Air Bag Fault (Passenger Front Air Bag Circuit Fault)GO to Pinpoint Test K.
B229642Restraint System - Impact Sensor Fault (Front Impact Severity Sensor Circuit Fault)GO to Pinpoint Test L.
B243451Driver Safety Belt Buckle Switch Circuit Short to GroundGO to Pinpoint Test M.
B243551Driver Safety Belt Buckle Switch Circuit Resistance Out of RangeGO to Pinpoint Test N.
B243852Passenger Safety Belt Buckle Switch Circuit Short to GroundGO to Pinpoint Test O.
B243952Passenger Safety Belt Buckle Switch Circuit Resistance Out of RangeGO to Pinpoint Test P.
B2477ContinuousModule Configuration ErrorINSTALL a new RCM.
B269151Driver Safety Belt Buckle Switch Circuit FaultGO to Pinpoint Test Q.
B269252Passenger Safety Belt Buckle Switch Circuit FaultGO to Pinpoint Test R.
B290916Belt Tension Sensor FaultGO to Pinpoint Test S.
C141415Incorrect Module Design LevelGO to Pinpoint Test T.
C194749Driver Seat Track Position Sensor Circuit Short to GroundGO to Pinpoint Test U.
C194849Driver Seat Track Position Sensor Circuit Resistance Out of RangeGO to Pinpoint Test V.
C198149Driver Seat Track Position Sensor Circuit FaultGO to Pinpoint Test W.
--No Communication with the Restraints Control Module.GO to Pinpoint Test X.
a DTC: Diagnostic trouble code, retrieved using diagnostic tool.
b LFC: Lamp fault code, flashed on air bag indicator.

Pinpoint Test D: LFC 18/DTC B1884 - PAD Warning Lamp Circuit Failure

Normal Operation

When the ignition is in the ON position, the PAD indicator prove-out period is initiated by the restraints control module (RCM). The RCM briefly activates the PAD indicator to verify to the occupants proper functional operation of the PAD indicator. Refer to Air Bag and Safety Belt Pretensioner Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) in this section.

If the RCM detects an open or short to ground on the PAD indicator circuit, it will store diagnostic trouble code (DTC) B1884 in memory and flash lamp fault code (LFC) 18 (or higher priority code if one exists) on the air bag indicator.

Possible Causes

A PAD indicator circuit open or short to ground can be caused by:

• wiring, terminals or connectors.
  • a faulted RCM.
  • a faulted PAD indicator.

PINPOINT TEST D: LFC18/DTC B1884 - PAD WARNING LAMP CIRCUIT FAILURE

NOTE: Most faults are due to connector and/or wiring concerns. Carry out a thorough Inspection and Verification before proceeding with the pinpoint test.

Test StepResult / Action to Take
D1 CHECK FOR A HARD OR INTERMITTENT DTC

WARNING: Restraint system diagnostic tools are for service only. Tools must be removed prior to operating the vehicle over the road. Failure to remove restraint system diagnostic tools could result in injury and possible violation of vehicle safety standards.

WARNING: Never probe the connectors on the air bag module. Doing so can result in air bag deployment, which can result in personal injury.

WARNING: The safety belt pretensioner is a pyrotechnic device. Always wear safety glasses when repairing an air bag equipped vehicle and when handling a safety belt buckle pretensioner or safety belt retractor pretensioner. Never probe a pretensioner electrical connector. Doing so could result in pretensioner or air bag deployment and could result in personal injury.

NOTE: After diagnosing or repairing an SRS, the restraint system diagnostic tools must be removed before operating the vehicle over the road.

NOTE: The SRS must be fully operational and free of faults before releasing the vehicle to the customer.

• Enter the following diagnostic mode on the scan tool: On-Demand Self Test.
  • Enter the following diagnostic mode on the scan tool: Retrieve/Record Continuous DTCs.
  • Was DTC B1884 retrieved during the on-demand self test?
Yes
If the PAD indicator does illuminate, GO to D2 . If the PAD indicator does not illuminate, GO to D5 .

No
This is an intermittent fault. The fault condition is not present at this time. GO to D9 .
D2 CHECK THE RCM CONNECTOR
  • Ignition OFF.
  • Depower the system. Refer to Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) Depowering and Repowering in this section.
  • Disconnect: RCM C310a and C310b.
  • Inspect the RCM C310a component side for damaged camming beams.

• NOTE: The shorting bars can be accessed by prying out the cover from the harness side of the connector. Do not remove or defeat the shorting bars.
  • Inspect RCM C310a harness side for worn, damaged or dislodged shorting bar at pins 15 and 16. Inspect for foreign material. Inspect for pushed-out connector terminals.

• Were any RCM connector concerns found?
Yes
CORRECT the connector concerns. GO to D10 .

No
GO to D3.
D3 CHECK CIRCUIT 608 (BK/YE) FOR SHORT TO GROUND
  • Connect: RCM C310a and C310b.
  • Disconnect: PAD Indicator C2286.
  • Measure the resistance between PAD indicator C2286-3, circuit 608 (BK/YE), harness side and ground.

• Is the resistance greater than 10,000 ohms?
Yes
GO to D8.

No
GO to D4.
D4 CHECK RCM
  • Disconnect: RCM C310a and C310b.
  • Measure the resistance between RCM C310a pin 15, component side and ground.

Yes
REPAIR circuit 608 (BK/YE). GO to D10 .

No
GO to D8.
D5 CHECK PAD INDICATOR
Yes
GO to D8.

No
GO to D6.
D6 CHECK CIRCUIT 608 (BK/YE) FOR OPEN
  • Ignition OFF.
  • Disconnect: PAD Indicator C2286.
  • Measure the resistance between PAD indicator C2286-3, circuit 608 (BK/YE), harness side and RCM C310a-15, circuit 608 (BK/YE), harness side.

• Is the resistance less than 0.5 ohm?
Yes
GO to D7.

No
REPAIR circuit 608 (BK/YE). GO to D10 .
D7 CHECK CIRCUIT 1003 (GY/YE) FOR OPEN
Yes
INSTALL a new PAD indicator. REFER to Passenger Air Bag Deactivation (PAD) Indicator in this section. GO to D10 .

No
REPAIR circuit 1003 (GY/YE). GO to D10 .
D8 CONFIRM THE RCM FAULT

NOTE: Make sure all restraint system diagnostic tools, sensor electrical connectors and the RCM electrical connector are connected before carrying out the on-demand self test. If not, erroneous DTCs will be recorded.

• Ignition OFF.
  • Connect: PAD Indicator C2286 (if disconnected in prior step).
  • Connect: RCM C310a and C310b (if disconnected in prior step).
  • Repower the system. Do not prove out the system at this time. Refer to Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) Depowering and Repowering in this section.
Yes
INSTALL a new RCM. REFER to Restraints Control Module (RCM) in this section. GO to D9 .

No
CHECK for causes of intermittent open or short to ground on circuit 608 (BK/YE). ATTEMPT to recreate the hard fault by flexing the wire harness and cycling the ignition key frequently. ACTIVATE other systems in the same wire harness. REPAIR any intermittent concerns found. GO to D10 .
D9 CHECK FOR AN INTERMITTENT FAULT
  • Ignition OFF.
Yes
This is a hard fault. The fault condition is now present. This fault cannot be cleared until it is corrected and the DTC is no longer retrieved during the on-demand self test.

GO to D2.

No
D10 CHECK FOR ADDITIONAL DTCs
  • Refer to the continuous DTCs recorded during Step D1.
  • Were any continuous DTCs retrieved during Step D1?
Yes
Do not clear any DTCs until all DTCs have been resolved. GO to the Restraints Control Module (RCM) Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Priority Table in this section for pinpoint test direction.

No
RECONNECT the system. If previously directed to deactivate the system, REACTIVATE the system. REFER to Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) Deactivation and Reactivation in this section. REPOWER the system. REFER to Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) Depowering and Repowering in this section. PROVE OUT the system. CLEAR all DTCs.

Pinpoint Test E: LFC18/DTC B1890 - PAD Warning Lamp Circuit Short to Battery

Normal Operation

When the ignition is in the on position, the PAD indicator prove-out period is initiated by the restraints control module (RCM). The RCM briefly activates the PAD indicator to verify to the occupants proper functional operation of the PAD indicator. Refer to Air Bag and Safety Belt Pretensioner Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) in this section.

If the restraints control module detects a short to battery on the passenger air bag deactivation (PAD) warning lamp circuit, it will store diagnostic trouble code (DTC) B1890 in memory and flash lamp fault (LFC) 18 (or higher priority code if one exists) on the air bag indicator.

Possible Causes

A PAD indicator circuit short to battery can be caused by:

• damaged wiring, terminals or connectors.
  • a faulted PAD indicator.
  • a faulted RCM.

I hope my assistance helped you and resolved your concern, after accepting the report stays open for further questions, if you need further assistance please ask,

Please click the 'ACCEPT' button to allow me to recieve credit for my work. Positive feedback is always appreciated. If you feel the answer was able to save you significant time and money Bonuses are appreciated & would make my day.

Experience: 14 years at same Ford dealer,senior master and ASE master certified,hybrid certified,SYNC certified,10 year master's tenure