Ford expert
Ford expert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 yrs,experience shop owner,
22989858

2000 F350 7.3 diesal engine. Hard start cold. Raps hard and dies.

2000 F350 7.3 diesal engine. Hard start cold. Raps hard and dies. When you warm it up it miss fires as if enjectors are bad. Sometimes it run ok until you touch throdle. Then goes back to missing. engine light is on when running bad, but goes out when it runs good. Just started like that one morning. No warning.
Thanks for visiting JA.com
It sounds like you might have a bad o2 sensor. It's common when an o2 sensor has a problem the engine light can come on intermittently.
Just to be sure, you should scan the truck for codes. Autozone will do this for free.
When the truck is cold try adding some external fuel before starting the truck. See if the truck starts up on added external fuel.
The most important thing is getting the codes for now.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Tim,

I know what you say is good advice, but I personaly don't believe thats the problem. The engine light problem would have started intermitently. It did not. When it ran what I would call fair, I tried to drain filter while running and It started to rap right off. I will try to supply external fuel, but as far as getting codes checked. I can't even drive the truck. Chuck.

THIS TRUCK BEING DIESEL HAS NO O2 SENSORS BUT JUDGING BY YOU DESCRIPTION YOU EITHER HAVE BAD UNDER VALVE COVER CONNECTORS OR BAD INJECTORS

HERE ARE A FEW TESTS TO DO AND LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU FIND

Tests/Procedures:1. The indication is that the injectors are the likely problem. Identify which injectors are the weaker-sounding ones in the buzz test, and remove the valve cover(s) and watch the amount of oil out of the spill spouts at the top of the injectors when the engine is started cold. If the amount of oil out the spill spouts is less on the weaker-sounding injectors than on the rest, this is added confirmation that the injectors are failing.
Potential Causes:Injectors
Tech Tips:A fuel injector that sounds noticeably quieter than the others, during the buzz test, is typically a bad injector, especially if there are no injector electrical circuit codes set. The buzz test first buzzes the injectors all together, which is a loud, long buzz, then buzzes injectors 1 through 8 one at a time, in numerical order. The passenger side cylinders are 1, 3, 5 and 7 front to the rear and the driver's side are 2, 4, 6 and 8 front to rear.

Ford expert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 30 yrs,experience shop owner,