EMRSR
EMRSR, Master Certified Service Manager
Experience:  20 years with Ford, Master Certified
18136160

After changing Rear Disc pads on a Ford E450 Econoline Super

Customer Question

After changing Rear Disc pads on a Ford E450 Econoline Super duty, not getting any hydraulic pressure on brake Pedal after bleeding system, what is the possible cause?

M/Cyl. appears to be working fine.
Category: Ford
Expert:  EMRSR replied 4 years ago.
Did you open the hydraulics at all or just return the piston to fit the new pads in place? Why did you attempt to bleed the system ? Can I get a VIN # ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Bleed system only after removing Hydraulic lines

Vin# XXXXX
Expert:  EMRSR replied 4 years ago.
So you replaced rear caliper hoses?, what lines were removed and what was the reason?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No hoses were replaced, just checked them to see if they were clear or collapsed after pistons would not retract and brakes were binding
Expert:  EMRSR replied 4 years ago.

You must start at the furthest wheel and then move closer by line length.

Manual
Notes

Manual

WARNING: Use of any brake fluid other than approved DOT 3 or DOT 4 will cause permanent damage to brake components and will render the brakes inoperative.

WARNING: Brake fluid contains polyglycol ethers and polyglycols. Avoid contact with eyes. Wash hands thoroughly after handling. If brake fluid contacts eyes, flush eyes with running water for 15 minutes. Get medical attention if irritation persists. If taken internally, drink water and induce vomiting. Get medical attention immediately.

CAUTION: Do not allow the brake master cylinder reservoir to run dry during the bleeding operation. Keep the brake master cylinder reservoir filled with the specified brake fluid. Never reuse the brake fluid that has been drained from the hydraulic system.

CAUTION: Brake fluid is harmful to painted and plastic surfaces. If brake fluid is spilled onto a painted or plastic surface, immediately wash it with water.

NOTE: When any part of the hydraulic system has been disconnected for repair or installation of new components, air can get into the system and cause spongy brake pedal action. This requires bleeding of the hydraulic system after it has been correctly connected. The hydraulic system can be bled manually or with pressure bleeding equipment.

1. Connect the scan tool DCL cable adapter into the vehicle Data Link Connector (DLC) under the dash and follow the scan tool instructions.

1. Clean all dirt from and remove the brake master cylinder filler cap and fill the brake master cylinder reservoir with the specified brake fluid.

1. Place a box end wrench on the RH rear bleeder screw. Attach a rubber drain tube to the RH rear bleeder screw and submerge the free end of the tube in a container partially filled with clean brake fluid.
  2. Have an assistant hold firm pressure on the brake pedal.
  3. Loosen the RH rear bleeder screw until a stream of brake fluid comes out. While the assistant maintains pressure on the brake pedal, tighten the RH rear bleeder screw.
    • Repeat until clear, bubble-free fluid comes out.
    • Refill the brake master cylinder reservoir as necessary.

1. Tighten the RH rear bleeder screw.
  2. Repeat Steps 3, 4, 5 and 6 for the LH rear bleeder screw.

1. Place a box end wrench on the RH front disc brake caliper bleeder screw. Attach a rubber drain tube to the RH front disc brake caliper bleeder screw, and submerge the free end of the tube in a container partially filled with clean brake fluid.
  3. Loosen the RH front disc brake caliper bleeder screw until a stream of brake fluid comes out. While the assistant maintains pressure on the brake pedal, tighten the RH front disc brake caliper bleeder screw.

1. Tighten the RH front disc brake caliper bleeder screw.
  2. Repeat Steps 8, 9, 10 and 11 for the LH front disc brake caliper bleeder screw.

EMRSR, Master Certified Service Manager
Experience: 20 years with Ford, Master Certified
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm quite familiar with the bleeding sequence, an we are getting clear bubble free fluid at at the bleeder screw. what's beating me is after bleeding there is still no pressure at the pedal and the pistons in the rear caliper remains out causing the rotors to lock and wheel not turn, yet no pedal pressure.

By the way this is only happening at the rear wheels where we replaced the brake pads.
Expert:  EMRSR replied 4 years ago.
I would be pulling the calipers back off and looking at the pistons, something is binding not allowing them to release.