Ford snr master
Ford snr master, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  14 years at same Ford dealer,senior master and ASE master certified,hybrid certified,SYNC certified,10 year master's tenure
21020025

2009 F150 XLT: mirrors..unlock..the remote the interior lights come

I have a 2009 F150 XLT Super Crew, I installed Puddle lights in bothe mirrors, wired them to the purpple wire feeding the mirros. The lights will only activated when I turn the interior lights on with the thumb wheel. When I unlock the truck with the remote the interior lights come on,but not the puddle lights. ( at night the head lights also activate)How do I get the puddle lights to activate?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ford snr master replied 7 years ago.
good afternoon and thank you for inquiring with JustAnswer. The puddle lights get their power feed from the Smart junction box(inside fusebox) through fuse number 10. The output to the purple wire is electronically controlled by the smart junction box and since you have added the option onto the vehicle the smart junction box will likely need to be reprogrammed. If you choose not to go that route, you could also attempt to run a wire from the purple pudle light circuit to the dome lamp hot wire when doors are opened. This is not the recoomended procedure and i would suggest having the smart box reprogrammed, but it is an option worth attempting you are trying to save money and you are somewhat electrical inclined
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the help. I figured that there had to be some programing involved, just did not figure the SJB. My original wiring idea was to grab power from the dome light but ran into a problem feeding the wire to the door, and Im not comfortable in circumventing all the electronics.
the best bet as well as the factory way of doing the procedure properly is just biting the bullet and paying the $45 reprogramming fee, this way the wiring and the operation will be like factory
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thats what I plan on doing within the next few weeks.

thanks