Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

2001 Windstar: alternator..intermittently..I rev the engine..restarted

I have 1 2001 Windstar on which the alternator was replaced a couple of months ago. The battery (charging light) comes on intermittently with no codes present in OBD. Light does not go out when I rev the engine, usually goes out once vehicle engine is stopped/restarted. Have replaced new alternator 3 times thinking issue might be bad voltage regulator but problem persists. Even with light on voltage checks out at 13.6v across battery terminals and same when measured at alternator. PCM relay was previously replaced to correct problem with vehicle stalling randomly. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Does the battery ever go dead, does it stall, or does the light just come on even though its working good? Thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The battery never goes dead. The vehicle used to stall, but since i replaced the PCM relay it never stalls or cuts out any more, the light just comes on even though it appears to be working well.

It sounds like you have a intermittent wiring problem on the red wire going between the pcm and the fuse. You will need to monitor voltage on this wire at the pcm when problem happens and if it looses voltage then do the same thing at the fuse, if it does not loose voltage then replacethe wire between the two points or check connector/pin conditions. The alternator has a internal voltage regulator and if that was the problem it would not charge like it should. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.