Al Smitty
Al Smitty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, Ford Engine and Chassis Master Tech, Auto Tech Instructor
21409023

98 Ford expedition: bleed..abs system..master..my brake pedal kicks

how do I bleed the abs system and master cyclinder on a 98 Ford expedition... I just replaced my brake line from the master cyclinder to the abs system... and when I'm almost to a stop my brake pedal kicks back at me rapidly... My mechanic buddy said that I most likely just needed to bleed my Abs system and/or master cylinder... How do I do this?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Al Smitty replied 7 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer

Here is the entire bleed procedure.
Best of luck
AL

Master Cylinder

WARNING: BRAKE FLUID CONTAINS POLYGLYCOL ETHERS AND POLYGLYCOLS. AVOID CONTACT WITH EYES. WASH HANDS THOROUGHLY AFTER HANDLING. IF BRAKE FLUID CONTACTS EYES, FLUSH EYES WITH RUNNING WATER FOR IS MINUTES. GET MEDICAL ATTENTION IF IRRITATION PERSISTS. IF TAKEN INTERNALLY, DRINK WATER AND INDUCE VOMITING. GET MEDICAL ATTENTION IMMEDIATELY.

CAUTION:

• Do not allow the brake master cylinder reservoir to run dry during the bleeding operation. Keep the brake master cylinder reservoir filled with the specified brake fluid. Never reuse the brake fluid that has been drained from the hydraulic system
  • Brake fluid is harmful to painted and plastic surfaces. If brake fluid is spilled onto a painted or plastic surface, immediately wash it with water.

NOTE: When any part of the hydraulic system has been disconnected for repair or replacement, air may get into the system and cause spongy brake pedal action. This requires bleeding of the hydraulic system after it has been properly connected. The hydraulic system can be bled manually or with pressure bleeding equipment.

1. Disconnect the brake master cylinder outlet tubes. NOTE: When the brake master cylinder has been replaced or the system has been emptied, or partially emptied, it should be primed to prevent air from getting into the system.

1. Install short brake tubes with ends submerged in the brake master cylinder reservoir and fill the brake master cylinder reservoir with High Performance DOT 3 Brake Fluid C6AZ-19542-AB or equivalent DOT 3 fluid meeting Ford specification ESA-M6C25-A.
  2. Have an assistant pump the brake pedal until clear fluid flows from both brake tubes without air bubbles.
  3. Remove the short brake tubes and install the brake outlet tubes.
  4. Bleed each brake tube at the brake master cylinder as follows:
1 Have an assistant pump the brake pedal and then hold firm pressure on the brake pedal.
2 Loosen the rearmost brake tube fittings until a stream of brake fluid comes out. Have an assistant maintain pressure on the brake pedal while tightening the brake tube fitting.
3 Repeat this operation until clear, bubble-free fluid comes out.
4 Refill the brake master cylinder reservoir as necessary. Repeat the bleeding operation at the front brake tube.

1. While the assistant maintains pressure on the brake pedal, tighten the brake tubes.
ABS System Bleed

WARNING: BRAKE FLUID CONTAINS POLYGLYCOL ETHERS AND POLYGLYCOLS. AVOID CONTACT WITH EYES. WASH HANDS THOROUGHLY AFTER HANDLING. IF BRAKE FLUID CONTACTS EYES, FLUSH EYES WITH RUNNING WATER FOR 15 MINUTES. GET MEDICAL ATTENTION IF IRRITATION PERSISTS. IF TAKEN INTERNALLY, DRINK WATER AND INDUCE VOMITING. GET MEDICAL ATTENTION IMMEDIATELY.

CAUTION:

• Do not allow the brake master cylinder reservoir to run dry during the bleeding operation. Keep the brake master cylinder reservoir filled with the specified brake fluid. Never reuse the brake fluid that has been drained from the hydraulic system.

NOTE:

• When any part of the hydraulic system has been disconnected for repair or replacement, air may get into the system and cause spongy brake pedal action. This requires bleeding of the hydraulic system after it has been properly connected. The hydraulic system can be bled manually or with pressure bleeding equipment.
  • This procedure only needs to be performed if the 4 wheel anti-lock brake (4WABS) hydraulic control unit (HCU) has been replaced.
  • One conventional pressure bleed cycle consists of advancing the brake pedal to its depressed position, opening the disc brake caliper bleeder screw, allowing fluid to be released into the waste container, closing the disc brake caliper bleeder screw and releasing the brake pedal.
  • Performing the NGS program routine drives entrapped air from the otherwise inaccessible lower section of the 4WABS valve into the upper sections (accessible by bleeding the brakes). Subsequent bleedings remove the air from the system.
  • Add recommended brake fluid as necessary throughout the procedure.

1. Connect a clear waste line to the RH rear disc brake caliper bleeder screw and the other end in a container partially filled with recommended brake fluid.
  2. With the RH rear disc brake caliper bleeder screw open, cycle the brake pedal until no more air is seen in the waste line.

1. Tighten the RH rear disc brake caliper bleeder screw and disconnect the waste line.

1. Repeat steps 1, 2, and 3 for the LH rear disc brake caliper bleeder screw, RH front disc brake caliper bleeder screw, and the LH front disc brake caliper bleeder screw.

1. Connect the NGS DCL cable adapter into the vehicle data link connector (DLC) under the dash and follow the NGS instructions.
  2. Repeat the conventional bleed procedure as outlined in Steps 1 through 4.
  3. If the brake pedal feels spongy, repeat the NGS service bleed procedure.
Manual Bleed

CAUTION:

1. Place a box end wrench on the RH rear disc brake caliper bleeder screw. Attach a rubber drain tube to the RH rear disc brake caliper bleeder screw and submerge the free end of the tube in a container partially filled with clean brake fluid.
  2. Have an assistant pump the brake pedal and then hold firm pressure on the brake pedal.
  3. Loosen the RH rear disc brake caliper bleeder screw until a stream of brake fluid comes out. Have an assistant maintain pressure on the brake pedal while tightening the RH rear disc brake caliper bleeder screw.
    • Repeat until clear, bubble-free fluid comes out.
    • Refill the brake master cylinder reservoir as necessary.

1. Tighten the RH rear disc brake caliper bleeder screw.
  2. Repeat Steps 1, 2, 3, and 4 for the LH rear disc brake caliper.

1. Place a box end wrench on the RH front disc brake caliper bleeder screw. Attach a rubber drain tube to the RH front disc brake caliper bleeder screw and submerge the free end of the tube in a container partially filled with clean brake fluid.
  3. Loosen the RH front disc brake caliper bleeder screw until a stream of brake fluid comes out. Have an assistant maintain pressure on the brake pedal while tightening the RH front disc brake caliper bleeder screw.

1. Tighten the RH front disc brake caliper bleeder screw.
  2. Repeat Steps 6, 7, 8, and 9 for the LH front disc brake caliper bleeder screw.
  3. If necessary, bleed the brake master cylinder.