Jerry, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic with over 30 years experience with N.Y.P.D. fleet service division
1699649

My ABS LIGHT STAYS ON I HAVE A 1995 FORD EXPLORER LIMTED

Customer Question

Category: Ford
Expert:  Jerry replied 7 years ago.

HelloCustomer I am sending you some checks you can do,under the hood and under the truck, if these dont prove to be the problem, you will need to have the sytsem scaned for trouble codes.If you get any codes read and need further help, just post back to this question. Regards,Jerry.

graphicgraphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

did the check list light still on

Expert:  Jerry replied 7 years ago.
If you did the visual check,and it didnt help, you will need to have the system scanned using a scan tool with the ABS software to read ABS codes,when you do please post back with the codes.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

were do i get it in town auto aone don't do it

Expert:  Jerry replied 7 years ago.

Hi,most places that offer free tesing dont have the proper tooling for these sytems. They only pull codes and hope to sell you some parts. A simple code reader wont do any non OBD2 , brake, or body system tests. If you go to this website

WWW.IATN.NET and put in you zip code,you will be given a list of reputable shops in your local. You can call a few and ask if they will be able to diagnose you ABS problem.You can expect to pay at least a half hours time at the going rate in your area to have the codes read. They will have to charge you since the tools are quite expensive. Once the codes are read,you will need to have further tests done,for exampleif the code point to a L/F speed sensor,it can be the wiring a sensor or tone wheel causing the problem,determining which one takes additional testing and time. If you plan to do the work yourself,post back with the codes and I can help you with the testing and diagrams if you need any. This question remains open for you to come back to at any time.