Ford snr master
Ford snr master, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  14 years at same Ford dealer,senior master and ASE master certified,hybrid certified,SYNC certified,10 year master's tenure
21020025

2003 lincoln town car: ignition key will not turn

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Lincoln Towncar. The ignition key will not turn to the lock posistion, we can not get the key out. Everything else functions fine. I change the ignition switch, and the lock cylinder.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ford snr master replied 7 years ago.
good morning and thank you for inquiring with JustAnswer. Can you tell me, when the shifter is in park, are you able to remove the shifter from park without pressing the brakes?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
If the ingnition is on you must step on the brake. If the key is in the off posistion, dash unlit you can move it.
so it doesn't move out of park without pushing the brakes when the key is on?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No...only when the ignition is off
ok, that indicates that the key cinhibit selenoid is operating properly and is not at fault. Most likely this is a concern inside the steering column and the column will need to be disassembled to identify a worn or binding component. This is not real common but i have seen this a few times. Before overhauling the column, first remove the ignitionb cylinder and test it out of the column for correct operation and key release. If the ignition switch itself is ok, then inspect the gear inside the column where the ignition cylinder goes into and apply some movement to the gear inside the column, moving the gearitself to position it in the RUN position (just back from the start position spring tension) and reinstall the ignition cylinder to see if it operates incase the column actuator gear wasn't alligned properly. If this still does not resolve your concern ,the column will need to be removed and disassembled and inspected for binding or wear