Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

1999 Ford Windstar: Van..my heat stopped working..clicking noise

I have a 1999 Ford Windstar Van. At the end of the winter season earlier this year, my heat stopped working. When I push the heat slider over to the red part, it makes a weird clicking noise. It blows out cold air, but does not warm up. My air conditioning and everything still work fine. At first it only made this clicking sound when I would attempt to get heat to come out, by pushing the slider into the red part. Now, if I push the slider all the way over to the end of the cool blue side, it makes the clicking noise too. It still blows out cold air. It makes the noise regardless of whether I have any of the heating/cooling elements turned on. It I have the dial set to off, it will still make the clicking sounds. It sounds as if there is something stuck, but I know nothing about vehicles. There is only one spot on the slider that I can have it where it doesn't make the clicking sound. It is near the cold part, about a 1/4 of the way up the slider. Hopefully you can help!

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

The problem you are describing is a common problem and is caused by a bad blend door acuator, the acuator has a plactic gear that are know to strip out causing the noise you are hearing. I would start with replacing it. I have enclosed the instructions. The radio has to come out to access it.

DOWNLOAD HERE

DOWNLOAD HERE

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
One more thing. How much does an acuator normally run? Is it a pretty expensive part, or not? Would it make my heat stop working and blow out cold air, or is that part of the problem usually caused by something else?
Yes the acuator controls the door that turns cold air to route it thru the heater core. When it goes, it leaves the door open. The acuator will Run $85 ball park.