John Mc
John Mc, Ford Technician
Experience:  19 years Ford Lincoln Mercury experience
7591113

Any tips on a ax4n rebuild I have the tranny removed and the

Customer Question

Any tips on a ax4n rebuild? I have the tranny removed and the book. The guy I bought the car from said it wouldnt go into gear unless he warmed it up and reved it up while slamming it in gear and that would mostly work in forward and reverse. The fluid didnt really smell that burnt. Its a 1997 taurus with 150k miles.
Category: Ford
Expert:  John Mc replied 7 years ago.

Hello, I am John, a Ford dealer technician.

I hope I can help solve your problem quickly and accurately.

I answered a question for you the other day. First off if you are unsure of the overhaul procedure for this transmission buy a manual from http://www.wittrans.com/ It should cost around $25 and be worth every penny. These books are just for the trans so there is a wealth of information in them. As I told you before, look at the forward piston, look it up in the book, and you will find your problem.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you! If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

If this answer has been helpful please accept so I can recieve payment. Feedback is very

important to me so please leave accurate feedback for others to see my job performance.

Thank you,

JustAnswer Expert

Expert:  John Mc replied 7 years ago.
Yes this is the correct part.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Po743 code mean anything?

Expert:  John Mc replied 7 years ago.
That is a tcc solenoid circuit failure code. It is usually caused by a bad tcc solenoid but can also be cuased by the internal trans wiring, the external wiring or the pcm.