Dieseljunky2
Dieseljunky2, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified, Ford Certified, Cummins Certified, & 20+ years in field experience
24158749

92 ford ranger 2.3L no fire on intake side have replaced ICM,

Customer Question

92 ford ranger 2.3L no fire on intake side have replaced ICM, coil pack,crank sensor, exhaust side fire on plug wires good. please help
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dieseljunky2 replied 5 years ago.
Do you have a test light? If you do, turn the ignition switch on, and disconnect the wiring connector from the coil and see if you have power on the red/light green wire. Let me know. Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

the red wire has power there isnot a red/lite green wire

OK, now I need you to take and hook the ground lead of the test light to the positive post of the batery. On the other two wires in the coil connector, crank the engine over and touch the test light to each of the other terminals in the coil connector. I am wanting to know if you get a flashing light on the other two wires besides the red one while the engine is cranking over.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i will have to get back to you tomorrow thanks. please note crank sensor has been replaced,and coil pack along with icm
Yes, I read that. Let me know what happens with the test. Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no of the batt and cranking engineblinking light when touched to the other 2 wires on coil and connected to thepositive of batt, with engine being cranked
OK, this means that the coil is recieving the correct signals to fire it. I would like you to swap the two ignition coils places. Then see if the dead one moves to the other position. Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok but let me tell u about that coil, i rplaced it once,and then thought it might be bad and took it back to advance auto and rplaced it again. if the light doesnt blink it means the coil is getting the proper signal
The red wire needs power any time the key is on. The other two wires should blink when the engine is cranked and the tester is hooked to the positive battery post. Switch the coils sides and see what happens. Do you happen to have the part number for the coil? I can look and make sure you have the correct one for the dual plug engine, it is different than the single plug one. Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the coil part # XXXXX made by BWD Z- series thats the coil/coils I bought at advance auto, but the lite does not blink when i tested it like u said to, however i do have power on the red wire

I mis read your reply, the light does not blink. Print out this wiring picture. Let me know when you have it printed, then we can test one more thing. Thanks.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it is printed, also note I removed the coil pack on the exh side and replaced it with the original i thought was bad, and the exh side still has good spark, so i didnt need to buy the new coil after all
OK, on the ignition module plug, the two wires that go to the driver side coil are coil3 and coil 4. Check for blinking with the test light on the positive post here. You will have to take a paper clip and insert it into the back of the plug (the plug needs to stay plugged in this time. Also, note if the light blinks or stays on continuous.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
not real sure of the directions u gave, i need to check at coil wires when pluged in or at ign module terminals
At the ignition module terminals with it still plugged in. Leave the harness at the coil disconnected.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
got no lite at all from either term
Look at the harmonic balancer on the front of the engine, make sure no teeth are broken off the trigger wheel, located just behind the pulley.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
do u have a picture
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
is it located behind the crank shaft pully where the sensor is mounted if so that is all ok
Yes that's it behind where the sensor is. Let me think about this for a minute.

I'm sorry it took so long for me to remember this. There is a bulletin about the coils operation. Have you checked the fire with it running? The left side coil only fires after the engine is started. Here is a copy of the bulletin.

Dual Plug Inhibit System
Notes

PURPOSE
Dual Plug Inhibit (DPI) allows the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) to switch the ignition system from single to dual plug operation.

OPERATION
During cranking the vehicle is in single plug mode (only the plugs on the right side of the engine are firing). The PCM sends a command to the Distributorless Ignition System (DIS) module to switch to the dual plug mode (both plugs in each cylinder are firing) when the engine is started.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the car has been running fine until a week ago then it died
The truck will not run?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
correct it will not run now

You did not state that in the original list, If you had said that I it would have saved a bunch of time I think, I bet the timing belt is broken. Have you checked it? Watch the cam gear at the top as you crank the engine over for rotation. Here is the diagram.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
timing belt is fine like brand new
Have you watched to make sure it is turning the camshaft? I have seen them look brand new and strip about 10 teeth off at the crank pulley and not turn the camshaft.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes it is turning because i had to turn it by hand to replace cam shaft sensor and it turns when engine is cranked over
What happened when it stopped running? Just died, overheated, etc.?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
just died
OK, I would like you to spray some starting fluid into the air intake pipe and see if it tries to start. You know you have fire, we now need to see if there is fuel getting there. If it will start on starting fluid, we know that we need to address a fuel issue.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
tried that it is not a fuel issue replaced fuel filter and can smell fuel going to engine fuel pump is working it wont start because intake plugs are not getting fire
The truck starts on the exhaust plugs, and after it is running, the intake plugs begin to fire. If you wil read the answer posted at 3:58 pm today, The bulletin clearly explains that when cranking, only the exhaust (right) plugs fire. Then after the engine is running, the intake (left) plugs fire also.

Edited by Dieseljunky2 on 11/13/2009 at 2:27 AM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok so what are your thoughts now
Do you have a compression gauge? We know we have spark, fuel, You said the camshaft timing is correct. The only thing left is compression. I would like for you to check the compression on all 4 cylinders. Just besure and unplug both coils when you do the test.