Steve Jensen
Steve Jensen, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE Master Technician 33 years experience
17024452

2003 Ford Expedition: accelerating..all the fluids drained..rear end

Have a 2003 Ford Expedition that makes a noise when accelerating and decelerating. Seems to occur more when accelerating and turning to the right. Had all the fluids drained and changed in rear end and the noise went away for a few days but eventually came back. I then replaced the clutches and the noise hasn't even gone away like it did with the fluid change. What do you think is the problem and my next course of action?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Steve Jensen replied 4 years ago.

Can you describe the noise, in other words, would you say that it is a whine or a howl, etc. When you are driving at hiway speeds, do you notice the noise if you accelerate slightly or do you only hear it at lower speeds? Steve

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it is more like a grinding noise. When you accelerate, the noise is loud for about 4-5 seconds and then it quiets down until you reach about 55 mph. It also makes the noise for a few seconds while slowing down.
Were the side bearings on the differential inspected when you changed the clutches? Steve

Edited by Steve Jensen on 11/11/2009 at 10:44 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i don't believe they were. The mechanic told us he didn't think there was anything wrong with the bearings.
Pretty unusual to get a grinding noise out of these rear ends, but since the noise went away for a while after the fluid was changed, it would seem that the noise must be coming from there. I would want to check the backlash and the side bearings in the differential. I would also want to verify the side bearing preload... if there is looseness between the case and the side bearings, I have seen this cause a ring or grind noise under certain situations... with loose side bearings the ring and pinion can sometimes vibrate or chatter (rattle that sounds like a ringing or grinding) against each other under different loading, such as accel and decel. The cases on these differetials sometimes had developed some distortion that caused changes in bearing preload and resulted in some issues. Steve
Steve Jensen, Ford Technician
Experience: Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE Master Technician 33 years experience