Chris (aka- Moose), Ford Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Ford.

1998 ford windstar: check engine light..engine light came..manifold

1998 ford windstar 3.8L, check engine light came on and was read by the scanner as a problem with the manifold valve. Should I have the manifold cleaned or what?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 4 years ago.

Hello Fordowner

I'm Chris, Thanks for coming to Just Answer, I am going to do my very best to assist you with this concern in a timely matter. If there is any doubt or further explanation needed on my answer, just reply on this thread and I will get back with you. I am here to help you, so I want to make sure your satisfied.

I am going to need the actual code which was stored?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry Chris,
I didn't get the code number myself. I had a friend (mecanic) run the obd2 scanner and he said it was the manifold valve - that one remained open after I had run the minivan on the highway. His suggestion was to take it in and have that specific area cleaned by some certified (qualified) in that field. He also said that it was a common problem on the 3.8L engine models but that there was no danger in using the minivan for now.
Hope that helps...

Do you recall if it was a P0171 or P0174 lean code?

Or possibly a P0401 EGR insufficient flow code?

Or possibly a IAC valve code?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hope i'm not wrong but I think it was an IAC valve code. When we opened the hood (after the scan) he showed me one of the valves that had remained open and pointed out a second one that stayed closed.
Does that help?

Do these ring a bell?

graphicgraphic

Rather than you and I guess it may be best to clarify this in the morning by getting back in contact with him on the code retrieved and reply back to me. I will be back online tomorrow evening after work and once we know the code I can provide an accurate answer rather than I hope I am telling you what to fix with uncertainty

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Chris,
Thanks for the diagrams. It is the upper intake manifold 9424 (that is what he showed me). He said it opens to allow increased airflow to the engine when the engine is running at higher velocity (highway).
If that doesn't help, I will write back tomorrow...
Frank

The description you just said means its the IMRC intake manifold runner control. It can be sticking and or broken. You can first try a cleaning process shown below which also includes a few other cleaning tasks.

graphic

If this does nto resolve it then its a concern with a part on the IMRC. I would need the code stored from this point to see which tests is needing to be performed.

Chris (aka- Moose), Ford Technician
Experience: 16 years experience with Ford.