Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

my ford contour will not shift in to overdrive. sometimes if

my ford contour will not shift in to overdrive. sometimes if you turn it off and restart it it will work

Hello Milkedeere

I'm Chris, Thanks for coming to Just Answer, I am going to do my very best to assist you with this concern in a timely matter. If there is any doubt or further explanation needed on my answer, just reply on this thread and I will get back with you. I am here to help you, so I want to make sure your satisfied.

Are you getting any warning lights on or flashing?

When it will not go into 4th does it just rev up when it gets to the top of 3rd gear or does it not even attempt to shift?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i have no lights on. when it does not work it get up to about 40 mph and cut out. the tranni is gone. you have turn the car off then it will shift up to 3rd and cut out. I had the car park for about 2 months. we were taking it to the junk yard to day and it worked fine. so we took it to town and delivered papers with no problem. started coming home and it acted up. turn the car off and started it and it work fine all the way home. (10 miles)
I believe your concern is inside the trans wit hbinding servo piston which is unable to apply the band to achieve the gears missing. Once a vehicle misses a gear it will continue to miss this gear per a strategy to prevent further damage till it can be repaired. This is going to require a transaxle overhual for repair.