john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech over 15 years in the field

Hi I have a 2005 ford escape. The service emissions sys light

Hi I have a 2005 ford escape. The service emissions sys light came on & I tried check gas cap etc with no luck then took to ford dealer. They replaced the fuel pump saying that 'pressure was low' and that 'means fuel pump'. anyways this cost $800. The next day, after filling tank with regular gas the service emissions light came back on. What do you think prob is...doesn't sound like the fuel pump was the prob. thanks norma
Category: Ford
Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 6 years ago.
have you had the codes pulled?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
not this time. am planning to go back to dealer. by the way the car seems to be running ok even before fuel pump was replaced. no trouble starting etc.

The check engine light comes on when the on-board computer detects a fault in engine driveability or performance, transmission control system or transmission, or the emissions system, and a fault code is set and stored in the computer. Faults that can set the check engine light can range from a vaccuum leak, engine mis-fire, low engine compression, faulty sensor such as O2 sensor or other engine sensor, hydraulic pressure loss in transmission, transmission shift solenoid, open/short in wiring harness, emission evaporative system leak, or one of over a hundred different reasons.

The only way to know what set a fault code and turned the check engine light on is to have a diagnostic scanner hooked up to the on-board computer and read it for stored diagnostic fault codes. Many auto parts stores will do this service for free- check with you local parts stores. If none in your area do, then you will have to take it to a shop and pay to have the computer read for stored fault codes.

Without knowing the fault codes numbers, it would be irresponsible to guess as to the cause as there are hundreds of possible causes."