Ford snr master
Ford snr master, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  14 years at same Ford dealer,senior master and ASE master certified,hybrid certified,SYNC certified,10 year master's tenure
21020025

2003 Ford ranger: The airbag light came on, blinking and stays

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Ford ranger. The airbag light came on, blinking and stays on after several series of blinking. It blinks twice, then a pause and then blinks seven times. It repeats this six times. Could you tell me what this means and hw to reset it? Thank you, Jeff
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ford snr master replied 5 years ago.

good morning and thank you for inquiring with JustAnswer. The lightflash code 27 you are getting is due to a failure with the Passenger Airbag Deactivation switch (PAD switch). usually these fail due to the bulb inside the switch burning out and not illuminating when the airbag is turned off, this is a very common concern on these vehicles. Usually these switches are repaced as the switch assembly but if you have some electrical knowledge you might be able to replace just the bulb yourself and get it working again. If the bulb is operative , i have posted the pinpoint test for you to follow below

B18842715Passenger Air Bag Deactivation (PAD) Warning Lamp InoperativeGO to Pinpoint Test M.
B18902716Passenger Air Bag Deactivation (PAD) Warning Lamp Shorted to BatteryGO to Pinpoint Test N.

Pinpoint Test M: LFC 27/DTC B1884 - Passenger Air Bag Deactivation (PAD) Warning Lamp Inoperative

Normal Operation

The restraints control module (RCM) has the ability to deactivate the passenger air bag under certain conditions. When the passenger air bag is deactivated, the passenger air bag deactivation (PAD) switch warning lamp will be illuminated.

The RCM monitors the PAD switch warning lamp for open or short to ground conditions. If the RCM detects an open or short to ground condition on the PAD switch warning lamp circuit, it will store a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) B1884 in memory and flash a lamp fault code (LFC) 27 (or higher priority code if one exists) on the air bag indicator.

Possible Causes

A PAD warning lamp inoperative fault could be caused by:

• wiring, terminals, or connectors.
  • a damaged or burned out PAD indicator.
  • a damaged or inoperative PAD lamp.
  • a damaged or inoperative RCM.
  • a blown PAD switch I/P fuse.

PINPOINT TEST M: LFC 27/DTC B1884 - PASSENGER AIR BAG DEACTIVATION (PAD) WARNING LAMP INOPERATIVE

NOTE: Most faults are due to connector and/or wiring concerns. Carry out a thorough Inspection and Verification before proceeding with the Pinpoint Test.

Test StepResult / Action to Take
M1 CHECK FOR A HARD OR INTERMITTENT DTC

WARNING: Restraint system diagnostic tools are for service only. Tools must be removed prior to operating the vehicle over the road. Failure to remove restraint system diagnostic tools could result in injury and possible violation of vehicle safety standards.

WARNING: Never probe the connectors on the air bag module. Doing so can result in air bag deployment, which can result in personal injury.

WARNING: The safety belt pretensioner is a pyrotechnic device. Always wear safety glasses when repairing an air bag equipped vehicle and when handling a safety belt buckle pretensioner or safety belt retractor pretensioner. Never probe a pretensioner electrical connector. Doing so could result in pretensioner or air bag deployment and could result in personal injury.

NOTE: After diagnosing or repairing an SRS, the restraint system diagnostic tools must be removed before operating the vehicle over the road.

NOTE: The SRS must be fully operational and free of faults before releasing the vehicle to the customer.

• Connect the scan tool.
  • Ignition ON.
  • Enter the following diagnostic mode on the scan tool: Retrieve/Clear Continuous DTCs.
  • Retrieve and record any continuous DTCs for use later in this pinpoint test.
  • Enter the following diagnostic mode on the scan tool: On-Demand Self Test.
  • Was DTC B1884 retrieved during the on-demand self test?
Yes
This is a hard fault. The fault condition is still present. This fault cannot be cleared until it is corrected and the DTC is no longer retrieved during the on-demand self test. GO to M2.

No
This is an intermittent fault. The fault condition is not present at this time. GO to M5.
M2 CHECK THE PAD SWITCH WARNING LAMP VOLTAGE
Yes
INSTALL a new RCM. GO to M6.

No
GO to M3.
M3 CHECK CIRCUIT 1113 (YE/LG) FOR A SHORT TO GROUND
  • Ignition OFF.
  • Measure the resistance between RCM C2041-9, circuit 1113 (YE/LG), harness side and ground.

• Is the resistance less than 1000 ohms?
Yes
REPAIR the circuit. GO to M6.

No
GO to M4.
M4 CHECK CIRCUIT 1113 (YE/LG) FOR AN OPEN
  • Disconnect: PAD Switch C2099.
  • Measure the resistance between RCM C2041-9, circuit 1113 (YE/LG), harness side and PAD switch C2099-3, circuit 1113 (YE/LG), harness side.

• Is the resistance less than 10 ohms?
Yes
INSTALL a new PAD switch. GO to M6.

No
REPAIR the circuit. GO to M6.
M5 CHECK FOR AN INTERMITTENT FAULT
  • Refer to the continuous DTCs recorded during Step M1.
  • Was the continuous DTC retrieved during Step M1 an intermittent fault?
Yes
CHECK for causes of intermittent faults on circuit 1113 (YE/LG). ATTEMPT to recreate the hard fault by flexing the wire harness and cycling the ignition key frequently. REPAIR any intermittent concerns found. GO to M6.

No
GO to M6.
M6 CHECK FOR ADDITIONAL DTCs
  • Were any continuous DTCs retrieved during Step M1?
Yes
Do not clear any DTCs until all DTCs have been resolved. GO to the Restraints Control Module (RCM) Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Priority Table in this section for pinpoint test direction.

No
RECONNECT the system. If previously directed to deactivate the system, REACTIVATE the system. REFER to Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) Deactivation and Reactivation in this section. REPOWER the system. REFER to Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) Depowering and Repowering in this section. PROVE OUT the system. CLEAR all DTCs.

Pinpoint Test N: LFC 27/DTC B1890 - Passenger Air Bag Deactivation (PAD) Warning Lamp Short to Battery

Normal Operation

The RCM monitors the PAD switch warning lamp for short to battery conditions. If the RCM detects a short to battery condition on the PAD switch warning lamp circuit, it will store a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) B1890 in memory and flash a lamp fault code (LFC) 27 (or higher priority code if one exists) on the air bag indicator.

Possible Causes

A PAD warning lamp short to battery fault could be caused by:

• wiring, terminals, or connectors.
  • a damaged or inoperative PAD switch.
  • a damaged or inoperative RCM.

PINPOINT TEST N: LFC 27/DTC B1890 - PASSENGER AIR BAG DEACTIVATION (PAD) WARNING LAMP SHORT TO BATTERY

Test StepResult / Action to Take
N1 CHECK FOR A HARD OR INTERMITTENT DTC

• Ignition OFF.
  • Connect the scan tool.
  • Ignition ON.
  • Was DTC B1890 retrieved during the on-demand self test?
Yes
This is a hard fault. The fault condition is still present. This fault cannot be cleared until it is corrected and the DTC is no longer retrieved during the on-demand self test. GO to N2.

No
This is an intermittent fault. The fault condition is not present at this time. GO to N4.
N2 CHECK THE PAD SWITCH WARNING LAMP
  • Place the PAD switch in the "OFF" position.
  • Does the PAD lamp illuminate correctly?
Yes
INSTALL a new RCM. GO to N5.

No
GO to N3.
N3 CHECK CIRCUIT 1113 (YE/LG) FOR A SHORT TO BATTERY
Yes
INSTALL a new PAD switch. GO to N5.

No
REPAIR the circuit. GO to N5.
N4 CHECK FOR AN INTERMITTENT FAULT
  • Refer to the continuous DTCs recorded during Step N1.
  • Was the continuous DTC retrieved during Step N1 an intermittent fault?
Yes
CHECK for causes of intermittent short to battery on circuit 1113 (YE/LG). ATTEMPT to recreate the hard fault by flexing the wire harness and cycling the ignition key frequently. REPAIR any intermittent concerns found. GO to N5.

No
GO to N5.
N5 CHECK FOR ADDITIONAL DTCs
  • Were any continuous DTCs retrieved during Step N1?
Yes

No

Edited by Ford snr master on 11/10/2009 at 4:06 PM EST