John Mc
John Mc, Ford Technician
Experience:  19 years Ford Lincoln Mercury experience

1985 ford mustang: transmission is stuck in first gear.

I Have a 1985 ford mustang with an AOD transmission. The transmission is stuck in first gear.

Hello, I am John, a Ford dealer technician.

I hope I can help solve your problem quickly and accurately.

First off you need to check that all your linkage is connected and working properly. The regular shift linkage and the kickdown linkage. Both of these can cause problems. If ok you probably have a sticking governor valve. If this is the case you will have to replace the governor assembly. This is located on the output shaft inside the tailhousing. It is held on by two large phillips head screws. You can purchase these at This company sells quality trans parts at reasonable prices. I have been using them for a good while with great results. If you still have a problem after this (probably not) then you have an internal trans problem and are probably in need of a overhaul.

If you have any more questions please feel free to ask, it's what I'm here for!

If this answer has been helpful please accept so I can recieve payment. Feedback is very

important to me so please leave accurate feedback for others to see my job performance.

Thank you,

John Mc

JustAnswer Expert

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Its not the linkage. is there any way to check the governor valve without tearing the transmission apart.
No you have to remove the governor and take it apart to see if the valve moves freely. You only have to remove the driveshaft, the mount and the tailshaft housing then you can get to it.