john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech over 15 years in the field
6149662

2000 ford taurus: start and stop the car. it wont start..crank

Customer Question

i have a 2000 ford taurus and deliver pizza with it. when i go on like 5 or 10 deliverys where i have to start and stop the car. it wont start. it will crank but will not turn over. if i leave it alone for a couple of hours it will start fine.
Category: Ford
Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 5 years ago.
dfoes it turn over?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it will crank like its going to start, but it doesnt start

i would say it may have a weak or bad fuel pump...sometimes you can bang on the fuel tank and it can wake up a dead fuel pump.

here is the basic no start test procedure

We will have to pinpoint what the engine is missing.

Spark

Fuel

Compression

All three of these are tested when the engine is being cranked over. There are two way of checking for fuel. Fuel pressure and fuel trigger. Both are very important and must be present for the car to start. Fuel pressure is self explanatory. You just hook up the gage and see what the reading is. Fuel trigger is check with a noid light. The injector gets unplugged and the noid light gets plugged in to the injector clip. With the engine cranking over, this light must blink. This is the signal to the injectors from the computer. You can have all the fuel pressure in the world, but it wont matter if the injector is not pulsing gas into the cylinder like it should! Compression tester, spark tester, fuel pressure gage and noid light are all accessible at your local auto store. All three tests play a very important part in diagnosing a no start condition.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the fuel rail has fuel in it. i had a check engine light awile ago and it said something about fuel pump. but it went away. so it might be the fuel pump?
i would think so i would check fuel pressure at the rail with a gauge and check injector pulse
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience: ase tech over 15 years in the field
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok thank you

no problem best of luck