Fordanswerman
Fordanswerman, Ford Motor Company Certified Tech
Experience:  Ford Engine Master/Transmission Master/Chassis Master=Ford Senior Master also Diesel 7.3/6.0
577462

Ford F250 7.3 Liters Diesl,Very hard to start at anytime and

Customer Question

Ford F250 7.3 Liters Diesl,Very hard to start at anytime and runs very rough when it fianally does start.Replaced fuel pump and cam sensor, fuel filter, air muffler.What would be the cause of this problem any ideas
Category: Ford
Expert:  Fordanswerman replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the question.

Do you have any codes?

Is there a performance chip?

Do you know what the fuel pressure is?

Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, No,No, but did put a new fuel pump and filter
Thanks

When you changed the fuel filter, was there a lot of debris in the bowl?

Does it have plenty of power driving down the road?

Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Not a lot of deprite,and only has power at high rpm over 2500
At this point we need to eliminate a few things. Most local parts stores can check for codes for free. We need to get these codes. The check engine light does not need to be on to set a code. There can be pending codes and codes in memory. depending on what codes you have this helps determine if it is oil pressure issue or a electrical issue or a possible fuel issue.

Let me know what the code numbers are, then I can help you figure this out.

Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So can I get with you tommorow or will I have to pay again
Thanks

Yes let me know tomorrow.

No you will not have to pay until you hit ACCEPT. Your money is just in deposit mode right now.

Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok thanks
ok sounds good.

Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did what you asked and after hooking up to the scanner no codes found and cant find the fitting to check fuel pressure
Thanks

When checking the fuel pressure you need special adapters to hook into the cylinder head. So for now, we will look at some other things first.

When you shut the engine off hot, does it start right back up or does it take a long time to start still?

How long have you owned the truck?

What other parts have been replaced besides the things you mentioned earlier?

Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It doesnt take as long but it doesnt start right back up
Thanks

What about the other questions?

Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok not sure where we left off so I am gonna start from the begining.Its hard to get started and when it does start theres a radical idol and after a few minutes idols smooth then if excelerated it dies.I have replaced fuel pump, fuel filter, cam sensor,.Put on the scanner and no codes found
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What other questions did you get my last reply I think there was a glich in my comp
Thanks

The other questions were how long have you owned the truck and what other parts have been replaced on the truck besides the ones you mentioned here?

Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have ony had this truck a couple of days so only the parts I mentioned.
Ok, I need to to check something. The ICP sensor could be causing this. There is a picture below. When the truck is idling rough, unplug the connector going to the ICP sensor. Let me know if you notice any change in the idle. Also check for any signs of oil in the sensor or on the connector. If there is oil in either or both, replace the ICP (injection control pressure). Let me know what you find.

Thanks

graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

When I it off idled high for a split second and there was no oil

Thanks

Did it idle smoother with it disconnected though?

Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No and one time out 5 it ideled high for a split second
Ok there is a possibility that this is a fuel delivery/pressure issue. Try this because it sounds like you don't have the correct adapters and gauges to do a fuel pressure test.

Ok, it sounds like the fuel tank is or was contaminated before. What happens over time is that there are 2 filter screens located in the fuel pickup assembly in the tank. These screens will get partially blocked to allow only a small amount of fuel to go to the pump. Eventually this will burn up the pump. Suggest to verify, get a 5 gallon gas can and fill it with diesel fuel and run a rubber line from the backside of the pump (inlet) and then into the 5 gallon can. If it runs better and is filling the fuel filter bowl up, then you will need to remove the fuel tank and remove the pickup and then at the bottom of the pickup, remove the bottom portion, and there will be 2 filter screens. Sometimes they cannot be cleaned and you will have to replace the whole assembly from Ford. Make sure to clean the fuel tank really well or this will happen again.

Let me know what you find and what happens.

Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok I will try this and go from there
Ok sounds good.

Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok I did everything you said and still no change
Ok, at this point you will need to get the fuel pressure checked and the high pressure oil checked. For a rough idle, one or both of these pressure can possibly affect the idle concern you have. Now it is a process of elimination. If the fuel pressure is ok, then check the high pressure oil pressure.If it is an oil pressure issue, you could have a high pressure pump issue, a IPR issue (injection pressure regulator). But the only way to determine that is using a scan tool and watching the pressure pid display. You can sometimes rent scan tools from parts places or tool rental places.

Let me know if you are able to see these readings.

Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok I will check this and get back I do have all of these tools thanks
Ok great! Let me know.

Thanks