Kyle
Kyle, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford certified - Diesel, gas, electrical, a/c, man trans, diff, suspension. Specialize in Electrical

2000 ford explorer: timing..4.0 engine with single over head cam

Customer Question

Type your car question here...how do I set the timing in the left camshaft in a 2000 ford explorer with a 4.0 engine with single over head cam. Without having the special tooll. There must be a way to know the position where the camshaft goes
Category: Ford
Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 4 years ago.
NOTE: Electronic Ignition engine timing is entirely controlled by the PCM. Electronic Ignition engine timing is NOT adjustable. Do not attempt to check base timing. You will receive false readings.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
john i removed the camshaft and forgot to mark the camshaft . this vehicle doesn't have anything that will keep the timing sproket in place in the camshaft. I am trying to find out what's the position the camshaft needs to be having set # XXXXX cilinder at top dead center
ok thats a little different give me a few ill look
Service and Repair
Notes

NOTE: Ford does not provide a TDC (Top Dead Center) mark or determination procedure for this engine in this vehicle.
ALLDATA users have reported success using aftermarket tools to determine TDC on this engine.

CAUTION: To do this procedure you MUST use the special service tools. Ford does not provide timing marks or any additional information for repair or replacement of the timing chains without the special tools listed.

Special Tools

Camshaft Timing

NOTE: For additional information not contained in this article, refer to Engine/Service and Repair.

1. Remove the valve covers.
  2. Remove the lower intake manifold.
  3. Remove the fuel supply manifold.
  4. Remove the accessory drive belt.
  5. Remove the thermostat housing.
  6. Remove the roller followers.

1. Remove the nut and position the A/C manifold and tube assembly bracket aside.
  2. NOTE: You must re-time the LH and RH camshafts when either camshaft is disturbed. Turn the crankshaft one revolution clockwise.

1. Install the special tool. Note: The special tool must be installed on the damper and should contact the engine block, this positions the engine at top dead center (TDC).

1. Using the special tool, loosen the RH camshaft sprocket bolt. CAUTION: The right-hand camshaft sprocket bolt is a left-hand threaded bolt.

1. Position the camshaft timing slots below the centerline of the camshaft to correctly fit the special tools and install the special tools on the front of the RH cylinder head. Note: The camshaft timing slots are off-center.

1. Install the special tools on the rear of the RH cylinder head. Note: Leave the top two special tool clamp bolts loose.
  2. Raise and support the vehicle.
  3. Remove the RH wheel and tire.

1. Remove the RH lower splash splash.

1. Remove the RH camshaft tensioner and install the special tool.
  2. Lower the vehicle.

1. Tighten the bolts.
    1. Tighten the special tool top two clamp bolts to 10 Nm (89 inch lbs.).
    2. Tighten the camshaft bolt. CAUTION: The right-hand camshaft sprocket bolt is a left-hand threaded bolt.

1. Remove the special tool.

1. Install the RH camshaft tensioner. Note: When using a new washer the camshaft tensioner must be torqued to 44 Nm (32 lb-ft) .
  2. Raise the vehicle.

1. Install the RH lower splash shield.
  2. Install the RH wheel and tire.
  3. Lower the vehicle.
  4. Remove the special tools from the RH cylinder head.

1. Install the special tools on the front of the LH cylinder head and tighten the top two clamp bolts to 10 Nm (89 inch lbs.).

1. Loosen the LH camshaft sprocket bolt.
  2. Loosen the top two clamp bolts on the special tool to allow the camshaft sprocket to rotate freely.

1. Position the camshaft timing slots below the centerline of the camshaft to correctly fit the special tools, and install the special tools on the rear of the LH cylinder head. Note: The camshaft timing slots are off-center.

1. Remove the LH camshaft tensioner and install the special tool.

1. Tighten the bolts.
    2. Tighten the camshaft bolt.

1. Remove the special tool.

1. Install the LH camshaft tensioner. NOTE: When using a new washer the camshaft tensioner must be torqued to 44 Nm (32 lb-ft.) .
  2. Remove all of the special tools.

1. Install the A/C manifold and tube assembly bracket.
  2. Install the roller followers.
  3. Install the thermostat housing.
  4. Install the accessory drive belt.
  5. Install the fuel supply manifold.
  6. Install the lower intake manifold.
  7. Install the valve covers.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
where do i get the special tool and what I really need is the position that the camshaft goes in relationship to the crankshaft because it can be done without the tool, i just need to know the timing
thats is the way ford specifies the tools should be available from otc, lisle snap on and ford...I know of no other way
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
please find out where the left camshaft is supposed to be positioned, anyhow i will accept the information because you did your work. the camshaft itself has some marks in some of the lobes so there has to be one of them that should be align facing upward or something. In addition can you please tell me the firing order and if I was to calibrate the lifters wich i know is not possible I will like to know which valves need to be closed at top dead center, which need to be closed at a 120degrees turn of the crankshaft, which at another 120 and which at the last 120 since that will help me find the position the camshaft is supposed to be. by the way it is only the left camshaft
Expert:  Kyle replied 4 years ago.
Hello I am a certified Ford Technician and I can tell you from experience that it is not possible to correctly time a 4.0L engine without the special tools. This is because you time the camshaft itself to the crankshaft, not in relation to the sprockets, chain or engine block markings. There is a special tool to put the Crankshaft in a precise position and at that point you use another special tool to align the camshaft. There aren't any keyways or alignment pins in the end of the camshaft to align the cam sprocket to the cam. If you loosen the cam sprocket it will spin freely on the end of the camshaft, thus making it possible to bolt the sprocket to the cam in any position. So you align the crankshaft to the camshaft with the special tools and then tighten the camshaft sprocket bolt once everything is in the correct location. If the camshaft sprocket is even slightly off and tightened in the incorrect location it will cause a running issue. I cannot recommend any timing method other than with the special tools, because it is not possible to do so, and because it could lead to internal engine damage. I suggest you try to borrow or rent the special tools from a dealership or shop that has them. I hope this answers your question sufficiently.

Thank You,

Kyle

Please hit accept, otherwise I will not receive credit for answering your question.
Kyle, Ford Technician
Experience: Ford certified - Diesel, gas, electrical, a/c, man trans, diff, suspension. Specialize in Electrical
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
john thank you very much. I know the sproket doesn't have to do anything with the timing however the camshaft does. All i am saying is that the camshafts do have marks and they are there for a reason. I understand that everything will be much better with the tool but the tool is not available for another week nobody that i know of has it. The local ford dealership doesn't have it, they just mark the timing chain were they take the old one off. Somebody out there know the timing marks of that crankshaft and if you find out i like to know, please help this is an emergency don't want to loose a good customer. If you can answer me with the information i need. don't worry i already hit accept.
Expert:  Kyle replied 4 years ago.
There aren't any marks on the crankshaft. You must use the tool that aligns the crankshaft properly. I have seen others attempt to time this engine without the special tools many times, and I have yet to see anyone succeed without any problems, or having to take it back apart and use the special tools.

Thank You,

Kyle