Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

How do I Program a new ignition lock cylinder to my 2000 ford

How do I Program a new ignition lock cylinder to my 2000 ford focus
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

Yes you are correct, the keys will need to be programmed by the dealer with there scan tool.

Key Programming Using Diagnostic Equipment

NOTE: This procedure is used when a customer needs keys programmed into the system and does not have two programmed ignition keys available. This procedure is also useful when programmed ignition key(s) have been lost or the ignition switch assembly has been replaced, and it is desired to erase key(s) from the passive anti-theft system (PATS) memory.

NOTE: This procedure will erase all programmed ignition keys from the vehicle memory and the vehicle will not start until two keys have been reprogrammed to the vehicle.

NOTE: Two PATS encoded keys with the correct mechanical cut must be available to carry out this procedure. One or both of them may be the customer's original keys.

NOTE: If additional keys are to be programmed, For additional information, refer to Key Programming Using Two Programmed Keys in this section. If the remaining keys are with the customer and are not available with the vehicle, then instruct the customer to refer to the Owner's Manual under the Programming Spare (SecuriLock in North America, Safeguard in U.K. or PATS for all other markets) Keys Procedure, for instructions on programming the remaining keys.

1. Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position.
  1. Select PCM from the diagnostic tool menu. Follow the Security Access to obtain security access. For additional information, refer to Anti-Theft Security Access in this section.
  1. From the diagnostic tool menu Select: IGNITION KEY CODE ERASE.
  1. Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position and disconnect the diagnostic tool.
  1. Insert the first encoded key into the ignition lock cylinder and turn the ignition switch to the RUN position for three seconds.
  1. Remove the first encoded key from the ignition lock cylinder.
  1. Insert the second encoded key into the ignition lock cylinder and turn the ignition switch to the RUN position for three seconds.
  1. Remove the second encoded key from the ignition lock cylinder.
  1. The vehicle should now start with both ignition keys.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
If I put the new lock cylinder in the car will it start to take it to the dealer, or do I have to be there to install the new lock?
Expert:  Ron replied 7 years ago.
It will not start till the key are programmed. So yes eaither they and or you need to be there to install the lock.