kevin, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  7 years

2003 ford explorer: interior lights stay..a very long time after keys

just bought 2003 ford explorer. interior lights stay on a very long time after keys are removced. How do I shorten the time.
Category: Ford
Expert:  kevin replied 6 years ago.
Can you give the VIN so I can better assist you?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
vin 1FMZU73K53UA85394
Expert:  kevin replied 6 years ago.
Have you ever noticed the door ajar light coming on when all the doors are closed, is there a message center on the gauge cluster?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No I haven't
Expert:  kevin replied 6 years ago.

The interior lights should turn off after 25 seconds, if your explorer isnt equiped with a message center then this means that the time the lights stay on isnt adjustable, this means that there is a fualt in the system, the instument cluster controls the interior lighting, it uses input signals from the door ajar switches and the vehicle security module, there isnt any way for you to adjust the time but what you can do is spray each door latch with lubricant, the door ajar switches are located in the door latches and its common for them to stick, if this doesnt work then the system will have to be tested