Shawn E
Shawn E, Ford Senior Master
Experience:  23 Years with Ford, 12 Year Ford Senior Master, ASE Master.
22388146

I have a 2006 F-250 6.0L that blows blue smoke at idle once

Customer Question

I have a 2006 F-250 6.0L that blows blue smoke at idle once it reaches operating temperature. The EGR valve was replaces yesterday by the dealer and they said this was the problem, but it is still doing the same thing. You can smell oil burning in the smoke. The smoke disappears when the rpm's go up, but it visible once again at idle. What is my problem? It just started doing this about a week ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shawn E replied 4 years ago.

Hi, welcome to Justanswer.com my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be answering your question.

The problem is the inner turbo seals are bad so it is sucking oil in the exhaust this happens on wide open throttle when you let off it will puff blue. You must replace the turbo or center turbo section CHRA this will be covered under warranty if you are below 100,000 miles. I have replaced the turbo center for this concern and have had it happen again we pulled our hair out for a week turns out the brand new turbo center was bad also. This is 99% of the reason for blue smoke.

I hope my assistance helped you and resolved your concern, if you need further assistance please ask.

Please note, your Deposit doesn't constitute a payment. Please click the 'ACCEPT' button to allow me to receive credit for my work. Positive feedback and Bonuses are appreciated.
Thank you, Shawn.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Shawn, thanks for the answer, but it is not doing the smoking on WOT, it is doing it at idle and low rpm.
Expert:  Shawn E replied 4 years ago.
It is the turbo center it puffs blue it will suck the oil in on WOT and release it at idle. Diesels vaccum is different than a cars vaccum if its blue smoke its that turbo shaft o-rings. Sometimes they will create a big cloud of white smoke while idling it will smell like burnt oil.

Edited by Shawn E on 11/4/2009 at 7:25 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is there a TSB on this? The reason I ask is because I don't know how I will go about relaying to the service dept at the dealership what you have told me and expect them to really listen to me, you know what I mean?
Expert:  Shawn E replied 4 years ago.
No TSB on this concern I had to learn it the hard way by getting burnt. I had a guy come back 3 times before we figured out what it was. Bring your truck back and talk to the advisor and tech and tell him your relative from ......works for Ford as a diesel tech and he said to try the CHRA replacement.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK, Shawn, I am about to accept your answer but I would like to know if there is any other symptom to the CHRA problem that I would be able to notice, also, I know you said it sucks the oil in at WOT, but why does smoke continuously while idling and not until it reaches operating temperature.
Expert:  Shawn E replied 4 years ago.
No other symptom for o-rings leaking on the turbo shaft accept for blue smoke coming out the exhaust. I have even taken apart turbos and they looked dry inside but replacing the CHRA still fixed it. Tell them it had a P0299 that you cleared by mistake that is a turbo code to clean or replace the CHRA. It smokes worse when hot because the oil burns. It probably smokes all the time but you just notice it at idle more.

Edited by Shawn E on 11/4/2009 at 8:12 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I could do that, but he checked for codes yesterday before replacing the EGR valve, surely he would have seen this code. Do you think an injector issue is out of the question based on the info I have given?
Expert:  Shawn E replied 4 years ago.

White smoke and runs rough is an injector the smoke will smell like diesel fuel.

White smoke coolant loss is the EGR cooler

Black smoke EGR valve

Blue smoke CHRA

Try a different Ford dealer or just keep bringing it back with the blue smoke complaint they will fix it eventually. It clears up after driving 10 miles or so. Just keep going back and tell them it is the same concern so you don't want to pay your $100 deductible again.

Shawn E, Ford Senior Master
Experience: 23 Years with Ford, 12 Year Ford Senior Master, ASE Master.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for you time, Shawn. I have the Ford DieselCare ESP, so their is no deductible. I guess I will just take it back first of next week since it is still doing it. By the way what did you mean when you said it clears up after driving 10 miles or so?
Expert:  Shawn E replied 4 years ago.
The blue smoke will clear up after the CHRA is replaced after 10 miles of driving it won't take 3 days or more.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok. Thanks again, Shawn.

Expert:  Shawn E replied 4 years ago.
Your welcome