Richard, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford Lincoln/Mercury and Jaguar dealer as a technician and shop foreman.

2006 Ford Taurus: Fuses..Turned key..the blower fan relay..clicks

Customer Question

2006 Ford Taurus Blower fan stopped working. Fuses are good. Turned key to on, turned on the fan switch and pulled out the blower fan relay and put it back in and it clicks each time, however there is no click with each change in fan selector switch. The fan blower resistor is not getting any power, none of the four terminals on the connector have power. The blower fan has power all the time even if the fan selector switch is off. Any ideas what to check?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

Hello and welcome to

Since you have power at the pink/white wire of the blower motor the relay and mode switch are good. The resistor should not have power. The motor gets a ground from the switch/resistor. If the blower works just on high speed then it is a faulty resistor. If it will not work on any speed then I suspect a faulty switch. Go to that resistor and you should have a ground at the black wire. Then you should have ground at the yeloow/red on third setting, and on the light green/white when on second speed setting.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Are you saying to pull the connector off the resistor and check for the ground on the connector wires with the different settings?

Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.
Yes. This will tell us if the switch is good. Also when the switch is on high speed go to the orange/black wire at the motor (with it disconnected) and check for a ground.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

okay, I am getting ground on black, orange and yellow when the selector switch is on max. I get ground only on black on all other selector positions. The orange/black wire on the fan blower does have a good ground with everything on.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Well I did not get my final answer, so I guess Ill give up and send it to the shop rather than try a bunch of trial and error expensive parts replacement. Wish I could have gotten a more thorough answer.
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.
If you have power and a good ground then the fault is the motor. To be sure you can remove it and jump it from the vehicle's battery. I see issues with water getting into the motor but we needed to do the testing first.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks Richard. It was the fan blower motor. I got it changed out and it is working perfect. I have owned Toyotas for years, I decided to try an American made car, and less than a month of ownership, it does this. I realize its used, but it only has 49k miles. I have two Toyotas, 2005 and 2003, not once has any components gone, no switches, motors, etc. No more American made cars for me. Thanks again.
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.
Your welcome. Glad you were able to repair the problem. Overall the 2006 Taurus is a reliable vehicle but of course not like a Toyota. Thanks for using