CTFordTech, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master School Certified, Kia Elite School Certified, ASE Certified, A/C 609 Certified

06 E250 cargo van. Dome lights will not shut off with all the

Customer Question

06 E250 cargo van. Dome lights will not shut off with all the doors closed. Checked all 4 door switches with and ohm meter. all read 0.1 ohms. They do shut off with the switch on the the light it self. I pulled the fuse for the interior light and i can hear a relay click. I want to test the relay but i dont know where it is. I read somewhere that it is behind the this true? Or could it be the dreaded GEM module and how can i test this?
Category: Ford
Expert:  CTFordTech replied 6 years ago.

Hello and Thank you for choosing Just Answer.

It is common for the ajar switches on Ford vehicles to become stuck. What I would first recommend doing is spraying penitrating oil or wd-40 inside all of the door latches. Firmly close all the doors a good 10 times. The light should then go out.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I took each switch out and tested them on my work bench. all 4 switches were reading 0.1 ohms when the switch contacts are closed. I have tried the WD-40 trick as my ford ranger has that issue and it doesnt work on the van. any other suggestions
I would remove the interior lamps relay located in the aux. relay box under the dash on the drivers side up on the right. Remove the relay and if the lights go out, Swap the relay with a known good relay. If the lights do not go out you have a wiring problem.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I will check this tomorrow and let you know what i find. Thanks!
Sounds good.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Just to let you know I got into the diagnostics through the Odometer and it was the passenger side door that was the problem. The door switch was showing open even with the door closed. The problem was the switch and put a dimple in the door over the years and was just enough so the contacts were not opening.

Thanks again
Glad you found the problem