Ford snr master
Ford snr master, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  14 years at same Ford dealer,senior master and ASE master certified,hybrid certified,SYNC certified,10 year master's tenure
21020025

I have a 2007 lincoln MKZ I am changing the rear disc brake

Customer Question

I have a 2007 lincoln MKZ I am changing the rear disc brake pads. How do I reset the piston back into the caliper? The parking brake is activated through the caliper mechanicaly, how do I back off the park brake so the piston can be pushed back into the caliper?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ford snr master replied 4 years ago.

Good day and thank you for inquiring with JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX i will be the technician assisting you today. To get the caliper piston to retract, a caliper piston tool will be required to spin the pistons in, they do not push in but screw in as they are threaded for parking brake use. You can get this tool at most autoparts stores and should cost no more than $60, some stores, like Autozone have a tool lend service that you might be able to benefit from as well. I have the snap-on Blue point kit, part number YA8610A, if that might be of any use to you. I would suggest calling your local Autozone if there is one around and ask if they lend that tool as well. With the tool you will turn the piston as the backingplate of the tool applies pressure and that spins the caliper in

I hope my assistance helped you and resolved your concern, if you need further assistance please ask, after accepting the report stays open for further questions.

Please note, your Deposit doesnt constitute a payment.Please click the 'ACCEPT' button to allow me to recieve credit for my work. Positive feedback is always appreciated. If you feel the answer was able to save you significant time and money Bonuses are welcome and appreciated.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your quick responce, however when I tried to screw the piston in I only got about a quarter of a turn and it locked and would not rotate further. is there a lock or somthing that needs to be released to permit further rotation?
The piston should screw in, usually if it will not go further, crack open the bleed screw to help relieve back pressure, if that proves to no avail, unscrew the piston slightly, use a woodblock or something between the piston and the outer caliper edge, to ensure the piston doesn't shoot out, then apply light pressure on the brake pedal for the piston to travel out a bit and retry spinning the piston in. If it still bottoms out without being completely retracted then it might need a caliper
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have discovered the solution while waiting for your responce. To free the piston to rotate you must first remove the park brake cable and bellcrank (lever) from the top of the caliper. Once removed, rotate the park brake shaft counter clockwise about 1/8 turn untill you feel a detent. This is what releases a lock or ratcheting device that prevents the piston from screwing in.

if you need any further assistance pelase feel free to ask