Mitch, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Diesel Master and Engine Master. Specialize in diesel, gas engine, electrical and driveline.

1991 f350: 7.3 diesel..wiring harness problems..linkage to electronic

Customer Question

I am taking the 460 out of my 1991 f350 and putting a 7.3 diesel out of a 94 f250. wiring harness problems excelerater linkage to electronic
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mitch replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

So, are you wondering what to do as far as the accelerator pedal and how to control this engine?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Expert:  Mitch replied 6 years ago.
Is it a IDI or DI? Does it have a turbo?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

the 94 f250 computer is IDM EDU-100A it is turbo five speed stick the 91 that it is going into is a 460 automatic if we could talk on the phone it would be better. thanks Rob

Expert:  Mitch replied 6 years ago.
I am sorry but we are only allowed to communicate in this forum. If you typed your phone number in it would block it on my end.

But, you are going to need to remove and swap all the harnesses that belong to the 7.3 And all the processors. The throttle pedal is a sensor much like a throttle position sensor. You are going to need to remove that from the one truck and figure out a way to mount it to the other truck. The you are going to need to install the pcm and idm from the other truck . You need to swap all harnesses to make this work. And to make it an auto you are going to need to get the 4r100 auto. I am pretty sure the e4od which is very similar to the 4r100 will not interchange. the 4r100 was a modified e4od for the 7.3 diesel. you may still need to use the 5 speed from the diesel truck.

What other concerns do you have?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Expert:  Mitch replied 6 years ago.
No. You need a 4R100 trans.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Expert:  Mitch replied 6 years ago.
What is wrong with the donor truck with the 7.3 in it?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It was wrecked and it has 80,000 on it so I thought it would be a good swap for my 1991 Centurian C-350
Expert:  Mitch replied 6 years ago.
Do you think you can locate a 4R100? it just has to behind a 7.3 diesel.

I have asked around the shop and we all think similar. Either way the power of the 7.3 would need the upgraded E4OD (aka 4R100)