Ford snr master
Ford snr master, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  14 years at same Ford dealer,senior master and ASE master certified,hybrid certified,SYNC certified,10 year master's tenure
21020025

2002 mustang gt: front brakes..the rotor as if the brakes are

changed the front brakes on 2002 mustang gt now they are contacting the rotor as if the brakes are still on all the time.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ford snr master replied 4 years ago.

good morning and thank you for inquiring withJustAnswer. As you stated, it should be pretty straight forward, though sometimes there are a few things that could cause the brakes to 'grab' or 'drag' afetr releasing the pedal. The first and foremost thing that i rarely see when a brake concern comes in is the presence of lubrication on the caliper slides,pins and caliper brackets. These pad and pin mating surfaces should have a coating of brake dieloectric grease on them (Ford part number XG-3-A), and the lack of lubrication could be the cause since there is a metal onb metal contact which needs to be able to slide freely. The other thing i have seen quite often as well is after a brake job, the calipers are installed 360 off, causing a kink in the brake hose, which restricts brake fluid to return and in turn could cause nbrakes to not fully release. If those items are covered then it could be that there is a fault internal to the calipers that would warrant caliper replacement. below i have posted the procedure out of the shop refference for you to familiarise

Pads

Removal

1. Remove brake master cylinder filler cap. Check brake fluid level in brake master cylinder reservoir. Remove fluid until brake master cylinder reservoir is half full.
  2. Raise and support the vehicle. For additional information, refer to Section 100-02.
  3. Remove the wheel and tire assembly. CAUTION: Install new pads if worn to or past the specified thickness above the metal backing plate or rivets. Install pads in complete axle sets.
  4. Inspect the pads for wear and contamination.
  5. Remove the caliper bolts.
    1. Hold the guide pins stationary.
    1. Remove and discard the caliper bolts.
  6. graphic

7. CAUTION: Do not pry in caliper sight hole to retract pistons as this can damage the pistons and boots.

CAUTION: When removing the disc brake caliper, never allow it to hang from the brake hose. Provide a suitable support.

Lift the caliper off the anchor plate.graphic
  8. Remove the pads and the pad slippers.
    1. Remove the pads and verify thickness.
    1. Remove and discard slippers.
  9. graphic
  10. Measure the front brake disc thickness.
    • Install a new front brake disc if not within specification.
  11. Inspect the disc brake caliper.
    • If leaks or damaged boots are found, disassembly is required. graphic
  12. Inspect the front disc brake anchor plate assembly.
    • Check the guide pin boots for damage.
    • Check the guide pins for binding and damage.
    • Worn or damaged pins should be installed new.

graphicInstallation

1. CAUTION: Do not allow grease, oil, brake fluid or other contaminants to contact the pad lining material. Do not install contaminated pads.

NOTE: Install all hardware supplied with pad kits. Lubricate all metal to metal contact surfaces with XG-3 grease.

Install the pads.
    1. Install the new pad slippers.
    1. Install the pads.
  1. NOTE: Use a wood block or used pad to protect pistons and boots.

Compress the caliper pistons.
  1. Make sure the anti-rattle spring is correctly positioned in the caliper.
  1. CAUTION: Use care not to damage the bleeder screw or front brake disc shield.

Install the disc brake caliper.
    1. Hold the guide pins stationary.
    1. Install the caliper bolts.
  1. Install the wheel and tire assembly. For additional information, refer to Section 204-04.
  1. Lower the vehicle.
  1. Fill the brake master cylinder reservoir with clean High Performance DOT 3 Brake Fluid C6AZ-19542-AB or equivalent DOT 3 fluid meeting Ford specification ESA-M6C25-A. Install brake master cylinder filler cap.
  1. Inspect brake operation.

I hope my assistance helped you and resolved your concern, if you need further assistance please ask.

Please note, your Deposit doesnt constitute a payment.Please click the 'ACCEPT' button to allow me to recieve credit for my work. Positive feedback is always appreciated. If you feel the answer was able to save you significant time and money Bonuses are welcome and appreciated.

Experience: 14 years at same Ford dealer,senior master and ASE master certified,hybrid certified,SYNC certified,10 year master's tenure