Steve Jensen
Steve Jensen, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE Master Technician 33 years experience

How do you change the vacuum pump on a 1997 7.3 diesel

Customer Question

Category: Ford
Expert:  Steve Jensen replied 4 years ago.

Remove the belt, then you'll need a special tool ( a power steering pulley puller) to remove the pulley from the pump. Disconnect the vacuum hose from the pump and then remove the three bolts attaching the pump to the bracket. Ford manual states that you must remove fan and shroud to allow pulley removal, but I have always been able to do this without removal of fan and shroud. If your PS pulley puller is too long and hits the shroud, then you should be able to reach behind the pulley and remove the three mounting bolts, remove the pump from the bracket and then swap the pulley to the new pump. Use the power steering pulley installer tool to reinstall the pulley, it screws into the threads in the center of the pulley shaft. See info below. Steve

Removal

1. Remove drive belt (8620).

1. Partially drain engine coolant.

1. Remove upper radiator hose clamps and upper radiator hose (8260).

1. Disconnect coolant reservoir hose at radiator and support.

1. Remove fan blade (8600) and fan clutch (8A616) using Fan Clutch Nut Wrench T83T-6312-B and Fan Clutch Pulley Holder T94T-6312-AH. Set fan blade and fan clutch in fan shroud (8146).

1. Remove two fan shroud screws.

1. Remove fan shroud, fan blade and fan clutch.

1. Remove vacuum pump pulley using Steering Pump Pulley Remover T69L-10300-B.

1. Remove vacuum pump bolts.

1. Disconnect vacuum pump hose and remove vacuum pump (2A451).

2. graphic

3. ItemPart NumberDescription
    1 N605790-S2 Bolt, Vacuum Pump-to-Bracket
    2 2A451 Vacuum Pump
    3 3A674 Power Steering Pump
    4 26487 Vacuum Pump Pulley
    A - Tighten to 23-32 Nm
    (17-23 Lb-Ft)

Steve Jensen, Ford Technician
Experience: Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE Master Technician 33 years experience
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
is this the vacuum pump for the brake system that pump air to the booster
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
is this the vacuum pump that pump air to the power brake booster
Yes, this is the information for the vacuum pump that supplies vacuum to the brake booster. Steve
Steve Jensen, Ford Technician