RJ
RJ, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford senior master and ase master certified 19years Ford dealership experience

1998 ford f150 4x4 5.4 ABS light came on hooked up scanner

Customer Question

1998 ford f150 4x4 5.4 ABS light came on hooked up scanner to module and it says module not communicating does this mean the module is bad or maybe bad connection and where is the module located ?
Category: Ford
Expert:  RJ replied 4 years ago.
Do you have the 4 wheel abs or the 2 wheel abs? When you turn on the ignition does the abs lamp come on then go out and come back on, or does it just come on and stay on ? Please answer both questions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
2 wheel abs after the engine starts light goes out the instantly comes back on
Expert:  RJ replied 4 years ago.
DOes the red brake lamp stay on also ??
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the red brake lamp has never been on only the abs light

Expert:  RJ replied 4 years ago.
OK you will need to perform some simple tests to verify if module has failed i will attach the tests for you.The module is located behind the instrument center panel you will need to remove it to access the module to test it.TROUBLE CODES (DTCS) ARE RETRIEVED WHEN THE DIAGNOSTICS ARE STARTED
CONDITIONSDETAILS/RESULTS/ACTIONS
C1 CHECK POWER FEED TO KEEP ALIVE MEMORY (KAM)

RABS Data Link Connector

Measure the voltage between wiring connector C207, circuit 483 (RD) and ground.

• Is the voltage greater than 10 volts?
Yes GO to C2.
No REPAIR the open in circuit 483 (RD). REPEAT the system pre-check.
C2 CHECK CIRCUIT 517 (BK/OG) FOR AN OPEN

Anti-Lock Brake Control Module C222

Measure the resistance between anti-lock brake control module C222-12, circuit 517 (BK/OG), harness side and ground.

• Is the resistance less than 5 ohms?
Yes GO to C3.
No REPAIR the open in circuit 517 (BK/OG). REPEAT the system pre-check.
C3 CHECK VOLTAGE TO ANTI-LOCK BRAKE CONTROL MODULE

Measure the resistance between anti-lock brake control module C222-4, circuit 530 (LG/YE) and ground.

• Is the resistance less than 5 ohms?
Yes INSTALL a new anti-lock control module. REPEAT the system pre-check.
No REPAIR open in circuit 530 (LG/YE). REPEAT the system pre-check.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
RJ, the pictures i cant view for some reason
Expert:  RJ replied 4 years ago.
HOld on , you were trying to use a scanner to test for codes. THis system is not tested with a scanner, i will attache the info for the procedure to retreive codes that must be followed. Sorry about the pics , i dont think we need them right now anyway. Retry this :NOTE the connector is behind the glove box towards the rh side maybe just above or behind the kick panel.

Verify the ignition switch is in the RUN position (engine does not need to be running). Next, locate the black RABS diagnostic connector C207. The diagnostic connector C207 has two mating halves, one of which has a black/orange (BK/OG) wire connected to it. Disconnect the two halves.

Attach one end of a jumper wire to the black/orange (BK/OG) wire side of the diagnostic connector C207. Ground the opposite end of the jumper wire by connecting it to a ground until the ABS light begins to flash. Grounding this wire should start the yellow ABS warning indicator flashing. If grounding this wire does not start the yellow ABS warning indicator flashing, go to the Symptom Chart.

The code consists of a number of short flashes and ends with a long flash. Count the short flashes and include the following long flash in the count to obtain the code number. For example, three short flashes followed by one long flash indicates diagnostic trouble code 4. The code will continue to repeat itself until the key is turned off. It is recommended that the code be verified by reading it several times. This code will be used later for system repair instructions. It should be written down for future use. A diagnostic trouble code 16 is obtained when the anti-lock brake control module detects normal system operation.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
not just a code scanner that you retreive engine codes from and reset your check engine light i have one of those as well, this is made for diagnostics for the abs system this is an obd II system it is a 98 model f 150 i can also use it to program the abs and calibrate my speedometer to read correctly
Expert:  RJ replied 4 years ago.
Doesnt matter this system is not capable of being tested with any scanner !! The 4 wheel abs has that capability not the 2 wheel !
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks for that answer, that means the for dealership charged me for diagnostics on the abs system and said their scanner couldnt communicate with the abs module either and i would need to replace the abs module. What a bunch of @#$% i will use your information to check the abs system going to my shop now to see if i can get a code
Expert:  RJ replied 4 years ago.
Remember you told me this is two wheel abs just make sure that info is correct. THe info i gave you came straight from the FORD shop manual for the 2wheel abs diag. OK After you get the flash out code we can go from there. Actually i will attach the codes now as i will be out for a while.
  • Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) 2 - open RABS isolation solenoid circuit
  • Bulkhead connector (between engine compartment and instrument panel).
  • Anti-lock brake control module or RABS valve connectors not fully seated with component.
  • Circuitry.
  • RABS valve.
  • Anti-lock brake control module.
  • Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) 3 - open RABS dump solenoid circuit
  • Circuitry.
  • RABS valve.
  • Anti-lock brake control module.
  • Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) 4 - open/grounded RABS valve reset circuit
  • Circuitry.
  • RABS valve.
  • Anti-lock brake control module.
  • Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) 5 - excessive dump solenoid activity
  • Parking brake.
  • 4WD indicator switch (4x4 vehicles only).
  • Rear brake assembly.
  • Circuitry.
  • Wire insulation to battery power (4x4 vehicles only).
  • Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) 6 - erratic rear anti-lock brake sensor circuit
  • Anti-lock brake control module or rear anti-lock brake sensor connectors not fully seated with component.
  • Circuitry.
  • Rear anti-lock brake sensor.
  • Rear anti-lock brake sensor indicator.
  • Anti-lock brake control module.
  • Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) 7 - no isolation solenoid during self-check
  • Circuitry.
  • RABS valve.
  • Anti-lock brake control module.
  • Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) 8 - no dump solenoid during self-check
  • Circuitry.
  • Bulkhead connector between engine compartment and instrument panel terminals shorted.
  • RABS valve.
  • Anti-lock brake control module.
  • Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) 9 - speed sensor high resistance/open circuit
  • Circuitry.
  • Rear anti-lock brake sensor.
  • Anti-lock brake control module.
  • Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) 10 - speed sensor low resistance/short to ground
  • Bulkhead connector between engine compartment and instrument panel sensor terminals shorted together.
  • Circuitry.
  • Rear anti-lock brake sensor.
  • Anti-lock brake control module.
  • Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) 11 - brake pedal position (BPP) switch always closed
  • Stoplamps.
  • Circuitry.
  • BPP switch.
  • Anti-lock brake control module.
  • Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) 12 - loss of hydraulic brake fluid during an anti-lock stop
  • Low master cylinder fill level.
  • Fluid leaks in vehicle brake system.
  • Brake fluid level warning switch.
  • Master cylinder float.
  • Diode/resistor element.
  • Ignition switch.
  • Circuitry.
  • Anti-lock brake control module.
  • Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) 13 - RABS module failure
  • Anti-lock brake control module.
  • INSTALL a new anti-lock brake control module. TEST the system for normal operation.
  • REPEAT the system pre-check.
  • Diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) 16 - RABS system OK
  • No system faults detected.
  • STOP. Rear anti-lock brake system functioning properly.
  • Intermittent problem diagnosis
  • Intermittent voltage to anti-lock brake control module.
  • Less than 11 volts feed to anti-lock brake control module.
  • Intermittent connections at rear anti-lock brake sensor, RABS valve, anti-lock brake control module.
  • Unwarranted RABS activity
  • Metal chips on sensor pole piece.
  • Gap between the anti-lock brake sensor and the anti-lock brake sensor indicator is too large.
  • Anti-lock brake sensor/sensor indicator interference.
  • Intermittent open rear anti-lock brake sensor circuit at intermediate connections especially bulkhead.
  • Wire insulation.
  • INSPECT wiring harness from rear axle assembly to frame side rail for chafing or rub marks.
  • Rear brake adjustment.
  • Brake linings.
  • One or both wheels lock up
  • Brake related concern:
    • Rear brake shoe linings.
    • Rear wheel cylinder.
    • Rear brake adjustment.
    • Contaminated brake fluid.
  • Parking brake.
  • Rear axle seal.
  • Hubs engaged although shift lever is in 4x2 position.
  • Faulty 4WD indicator switch or short to 12v in 4x4 circuit 210 (LB).
  • Low/soft brake pedal
  • Hydraulic leak.
  • Air in brake system.
  • Brake related concern:
    • Vacuum.
    • Rear wheel cylinder or front disc brake caliper.
    • Rear brake tube/hose.
  • Excessive dump solenoid activity
  • Lack of deceleration during medium/hard brake applications
  • RABS valve.
  • Short/open in frame or instrument panel harness (circuits 519 [LG/BK] and/or 523 [RD/BK]).
    • At anti-lock brake control module connector (pins 3 and 10).
    • At rear anti-lock brake sensor connector.
    • At bulkhead or other interconnection.
    • Wire or insulation due to improper routing.
    • Test connector (in engine compartment).
  • Rear anti-lock brake sensor.
  • Rear anti-lock brake sensor ring radial runout, rear anti-lock brake sensor indicator teeth damaged or missing.
  • Hydraulic leak.
  • Air in brake system.
  • Brake related concern:
    • Vacuum.
    • Wheel cylinder or caliper.
    • Rear brake tube/hose.
    • Brake shoe and linings.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

RJ Thanks for the info on the ABS, It is 2 wheel abs, The problem was the rear sensor that is located on the rear axle, we ran across that totaly on accident i was rebuilding the entire rear end droped the axles left and right replaced houseing because the old one was cracked installed new sensor, bearings throughout the chunk and I think I tightend the pinion gear to tight has a little viberation in the rear my marked rubbed off the nut when i put it back together and like a idiot i didnt count the threads so i guessed at it and i think i over tightend it I cant think of anything else that might cause it to viberate just a little and i can hear it at high speed can you think of anything else that might cause that?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i need to pay you too for the ABS stuff and probably a bonus if you have any advice on the rear end Thanks, Andy
Expert:  RJ replied 4 years ago.
IN order to check the pinion torque you really need to remove the carrier again because the amount of torque to turn the pinion is measured with the carrier out.it should be like 25 inch pounds of force to rotate the pinion unloaded.If it is way to tight it could cause the brgs to have to much preload and you would feel and hear this when driving. I am not certain it would cause a vibration.But you should certainly check it, also how much back lash do you have after replaceing the bearings? You should have between 8-12 thousandths. Any less will cause noise (howling ) and any more will cause clunking and gear clash. I would also double check the ujoints that is the most common cause of vibrations in the drive train. Dont just check for looseness but check for binding as well.
RJ, Ford Technician
Experience: Ford senior master and ase master certified 19years Ford dealership experience
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no howling or gear clash u joints been replaced and i know for a fact it took alot more than 25 pounds of tourque to turn the pinion my helper said it was hard to turn when we put the pin back in to lock the axles in place, I didnt think anything about it until i drove it I will drop the drive line tomarrow and back off the nut, i do feel and hear it when i am driving more so at a higher rate of travel. Everything else looked real good. Again thanks for your time
Expert:  RJ replied 4 years ago.
Be careful since it sounds like you may have overtightened the pinion nut , you have also crushed the crush sleeve to far, if you simply back the nut off your pinion is going to be loose and cause major problems. You really need to replace the crush sleeve and start over. Thats also 16-29 inch pounds not foot pounds of rotational force to turn pinion with new brgs.

Edited by RJ on 10/25/2009 at 5:13 AM EST