RJ
RJ, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford senior master and ase master certified 19years Ford dealership experience
19037865

Procedure for replacing diesel fuel injectors on 7.3 engin

Procedure for replacing diesel fuel injectors on 7.3 engine
Category: Ford
Expert:  RJ replied 4 years ago.
NO worries , its very simple. First open the water seperater at the base of the fuel bowl, then unscrew the filter cap and remove the filter. I would advise using motorcraft filter, some aftermarket filters dont allow fuel to flow. Make sure you put the new oring on the filter and a new one for the cap as well. Reinstall the cap. Turn the ignition to run, wait 20 seconds this will fill the fuel bowl. Then start truck and verify for leaks. Dont forget to close drain valve.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This does not answer my question. Please review it.
Expert:  RJ replied 4 years ago.
Sorry Didnot read that right. OK here is the info from the shop manual , pay specific attention to draining the fuel and oil rails prior to injector removal. I will attach the valve cocer removal in another post
SECTION 303-04C: Fuel Charging and Controls - 7.3L Diesel2000 F-Super Duty 250-550/Excursion/F-53 Motorhome Chassis Workshop Manual
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATIONProcedure revision date: 12/18/2003

Fuel Injectors

Special Tool(s)
Impact Slide Hammer
100-001 (T50T-100-A)
Injector Protective Sleeve and Holding Rack
303-D5113 (D94T-9000-E) or equivalent
Injector Remover
303-491
Injector Replacer
303-492
Injector Sleeve Brush Set
303-DS110 (D94T-9000-D) or equivalent
Injector Sleeve Remover Set
303-DS105 (D94T-9000-B) or equivalent
Injector Sleeve Replacer
303-D109 (D94T-9000-C) or equivalent

Removal

1. Remove the valve cover. For additional information, refer to Section 303-01C.
  1. Drain the fuel from the cylinder heads.
    • Loosen the drain plugs, located at the rear of each cylinder head.
  1. Remove the oil drain plugs.
  1. NOTE: Rocker arm removed for clarity.

Remove the bolt and the oil deflector from the fuel injector hold-down plate.
  1. Remove the fuel injector outboard retaining bolts.
  1. NOTE: When removing the fuel injectors, it is important that all three injector O-rings and the injector tip copper washer are removed from the injector bore. If the copper washer is not on the injector when removed from the cylinder head, make sure to remove it from the injector bore.

Using the Injector Remover, remove the fuel injector.
  1. Place the fuel injector into the injector protective sleeve.
  1. NOTE: If engine oil is found in the engine coolant or engine coolant is found in the combustion chambers new injector sleeves may need to be installed.

Place the injector and sleeve into the holding rack.
  1. NOTE: To install new fuel injector sleeves, the cylinder heads must be removed from the vehicle.

If required, remove the cylinder heads from the engine. For additional information, refer to Section 303-01C.
  1. NOTE: Place a plastic cap or small piece of cork to act as a stop, in the injector sleeve before installing the injector sleeve tap, this will prevent damage to the cylinder head bore.

Insert the injector sleeve tap and injector sleeve tap pilot into the cylinder head fuel injector bore. Tighten injector sleeve tap 1-1/2 to 2 turns. Attach the Impact Slide Hammer to the injector sleeve tap pilot, and remove the fuel injector sleeve from the cylinder head fuel injector bore. Discard the sleeve.
  1. Remove sealant residue and all foreign material from the cylinder head fuel injector bore, using the injector sleeve brush.

Installation

1. NOTE: Do not apply Threadlock® 620 or equivalent to angled areas.

Position the fuel injector sleeve onto the Injector Sleeve Replacer. Apply Threadlock® 620 or equivalent to the very bottom (smallest diameter) and very top (largest diameter) flat areas.
  1. Position the fuel injector sleeve into the cylinder head fuel injector bore. Seat the fuel injector sleeve in the fuel injector bore, using a rubber mallet. Remove Injector Sleeve Replacer tool from the cylinder head fuel injector bore.
  1. Clean the fuel injector sleeve and bore, using the fuel injector sleeve brush. Remove any sealant residue from the fuel injector bore.
  1. Install new O-rings on the fuel injector. Lubricate the fuel injector and O-rings liberally with clean engine oil.
  1. If required, install the cylinder heads. For additional information, refer to Section 303-01C.
  1. CAUTION: Remove all oil and fuel from the cylinders before installing the fuel injectors. Failure to do so can cause hydrostatic lock, resulting in severe engine damage.

CAUTION: Do not strike the top of the fuel injector to seat the injector in the cylinder head fuel injector bore. Damage to the fuel injector can occur. Use hand pressure on the top of the fuel injector until the fuel injector hold-down plate is flush with the cylinder head.

Using the Injector Replacer, seat the fuel injector into the cylinder head fuel injector bore.
  1. Install the fuel injector outboard retaining bolts.
  1. Install the oil deflector on the fuel injector hold-down plate.
  1. Install the oil drain plugs.
  1. Tighten the fuel drain plug located at the rear of each cylinder head.
  1. Install the valve covers. For additional information, refer to Section 303-01C.

RJ, Ford Technician
Experience: Ford senior master and ase master certified 19years Ford dealership experience
Expert:  RJ replied 4 years ago.
Here is the lh valve cover info , the rh is self explanitory.
SECTION 303-01C: Engine - 7.3L Diesel2000 F-Super Duty 250-550/Excursion/F-53 Motorhome Chassis Workshop Manual
IN-VEHICLE REPAIRProcedure revision date: 01/30/2004

Valve Cover - Left

Removal and Installation

1. Disconnect both battery ground cables. For additional information, refer to Section 414-01.
  1. Remove the air cleaner outlet tube.
  1. Remove the charge air cooler outlet duct.
  1. Remove the turbocharger intake tube. For additional information, refer to Section 303-04D.
  1. Disconnect the fuel injector/glow plug nine pin connector.
    1. Disconnect the retaining clip.
    1. Disconnect the nine pin connector.
  1. Disconnect the engine control sensor wiring.
  1. Position aside the wiring bracket.
  1. Remove the breather assembly.
  1. Remove the valve cover.
    1. Remove the ten bolts.
    1. Remove the valve cover.
  1. Disconnect the electrical connectors from the fuel injectors and the glow plugs.
    1. Disconnect the four electrical leads from the glow plugs.
    1. Disconnect the four electrical connectors from the fuel injectors.
    • Remove the valve cover gasket.
  1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.