A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

How to replace heater core in 1997 ford expedition front heater core.

how to replace heater core in 1997 ford expedition front heater core.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Your problem may be the blend door motor that controls the air flow over the heater core or the evaporator core. The blend door motor is located under the center of the dash. It is an electrical motor that moves a door in the case to change air flow direction. They are know for going bad and causing no heat or no cool air.

Remove the lower panel under the center of the dash, unbolt the air bag module, and the blend door motor can be removed and inspected.

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I can hear the door changing. But I dont know if it moves all the way. also the heater hoses are not as hot as the upper raditor hose.
You can check the door with the motor out. The pivit point that the motor attaches to in the door breaks off and causes the noise you hear. The door starts to move and the air flow from the blower motor pushes it back causing the noise. As for the heater hoses. They should be as warm as the upper radiator hose but a couple of degrees cooler. 1 or 3 degrees. Check for a restriction from the intake to the heater hose. It could clog with any debrie in the system. But if the hoses are at least warm, you should get at least some heat out of the vents. I would chekc the motor and the door. The motor will also strip out and allow the door to move back.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will ck this out tomorrow & get back with you.
Keep me informed.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I still have no heat. I can get the eng. to temp. the heater hoses are not even warm. someone told me the water pump could be bad . not moving water. where does the heater hose go to under the intake.

The metal tube that starts at the back of the passenger side cylinder head goes under the intake to the back of the water pump. Below is a diagram of how it connects to the back of the water pump.

graphic

If the water pump is not flowing coolant, your engine will eventually overheat. You may have a restriction in the tube to the heater core through the metal tube under the intake. The intake manifold will have to be removed to get to the tube to remove it and inspect it.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ok I will ck this out tomorrow night. get back with you later.

thanks JIM.

I'll be back in the evening.
Experience: ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I'am back. I removed the water pump tonight. There are no finns on the pump. SO the pump is bad. this suv has 173,000 miles on it. this is something to look for. thanks for all the info. talk to you again.

JIM SOLE