Al Smitty
Al Smitty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, Ford Engine and Chassis Master Tech, Auto Tech Instructor

2002 Ford Taurus appears to turn over but wont start. This

2002 Ford Taurus appears to turn over but won't start. This started yesterday. I noticed prior to last time starting it struggled to start. Drove from point A to B. Turned car off. returned to leave & car would not start after that apparent struggle. Tried a battery from my ford Mustang and same results. I am no car genius but i figured the car would at least still start but NO it did not start. We had a similar issue like this close to a year and a half ago. but it would click click click. a buddy replaced the starter and that wasn't it. Father in-law replaced the battery and it started right up. Any suggestion would be greatly appreicated
Category: Ford
Expert:  Al Smitty replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. It is my pleasure to help you with your question. Itwould help me to know a little more information.

-What engine is in your Taurus? If you're not sure, What is the 8th character in the VIN number?

Thanks
AL
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
3.0 L V6
Expert:  Al Smitty replied 4 years ago.
Is it an overhead valve, or a double overhead cam 3.0?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am not sure how to tell or provide that info to you
Expert:  Al Smitty replied 4 years ago.
What is the 8 character in the VIN?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
U starting from left to right
Expert:  Al Smitty replied 4 years ago.
Thank you
The 2 most common causes for this concern is a faulty Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP), or a bad fuel pump. Make sure the theft light is not flashing rapidly, and the inertia switch is set. The inertia switch is in the trunk, on the right side. You will see a red button. Make sure it is depressed. If the theft light is flashing, you most likely have a bad key. Let the car rest for 15 mins and try a different key. If both are ok, Check fuel pressure, and check for RPM with a scan tool. If no RPM signal, replace the CKP. If no fuel pressure, replace fuel filter and fuel pump. If you need any clarification, reply to this post.
Best of luck
AL
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is there a way to test the CKP? and also what area would this generally be located?
Expert:  Al Smitty replied 4 years ago.
Yes, the easiest way to test it is to see if the computer is getting an RPM signal with a scan tool. If you do not have a scan tool, you can measure AC voltage during cranking, but it is very difficult to do this. Here is the replacement procedure and location diagram.
Thanks
AL

REMOVAL

1. Disconnect the battery ground cable.
  2. Raise and support the vehicle.

1. Remove the Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor.
1 Disconnect the electrical connector.
2 Remove the bolts and the CKP sensor.

INSTALLATION

1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Notes
View 151-8

Here is the pinpoint test from the manual.

Tests JD: Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor
Notes
Note, Schematics and Connectors

Test Schematic

Schematic, Test JD1 - JD4

JD5 - JD14

JD16 - JD21

JD22
Al Smitty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech, Ford Engine and Chassis Master Tech, Auto Tech Instructor