SuperBob
SuperBob, Ford Senior Master, Mazda Senior
Experience:  18 years Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda Dealer ASE master, diesel certified. Specialize electrical
17143921

1998 ford: smell antifreeze in cab . checked all hoses- no leaks

Customer Question

1998 ford expedition.
can smell antifreeze in cab . checked all hoses- no leaks.
Any idea?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim West replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for visiting JA.com
Did it start when you started using the heater?
Sounds like maybe a leaking heater core. Check the coolant level, is it low?
Check under the passenger side of the dash for coolant. If there is coolant dripping, replace the heater core.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

No, it didn't start when using the heater. I live in Las Vegas. not cold enough yet.

Also, I said I tightened all hoses and ther were no leaks.

I allready know what you are telling me. knosdtart

Expert:  Tim West replied 7 years ago.
No problem, I'm going to look into this some more. I will also forward it to the other guys and see if anyone knows whats up. Thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

What I really like to know is :

what would cause the smell of antifreeze in the cab of my veichle while there are no leaks inside and out.

The smell is there when all knobs are also in the off mode.

I am also getting a slight defrost residue when all knobs are in off position.

Expert:  SuperBob replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer Tim was right on track with his and YOUR first suspicion. You do not need a big leak at all to smell the coolant from a seeping heater core, just a few drops leaking onto the heater core will give you this smell and the actual heat of the core will evaporate the coolant from a small leak before it will actually leave the air box assembly, and weep out the condenser drain, when the leak gets big enough to NOT evaporate all the way it will accumulate in the bottom of the air box to approx 3 or 4 ounces before it weeps out, then when it does weep out of the condenser drain, the exhaust catalytic converter is just below the drain and this will instantly evaporate any coolant that hits it making leak detection even harder. I would have a cooling system pressure test done, followed by a heater core leak down test. the leakdown test uses a gauge and 15 psi air pressure to pressurize the heater core and then the system is closes off and the gauge is monitored to watch for a loss. the only way you will get these symptoms is from a seeping or leaking heater core.
Experience: 18 years Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda Dealer ASE master, diesel certified. Specialize electrical