Ford snr master
Ford snr master, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  14 years at same Ford dealer,senior master and ASE master certified,hybrid certified,SYNC certified,10 year master's tenure
21020025

1989 Ford pu xl, the windshield wiper delay switch where is it??

I have a 1989 Ford pu xl, the windshield wiper delay switch where is it??

good morning and thank you for inquiring with JustAnswer. There are 2 components that COULD affect the interval wipers, the first is the governer which you are asking about, the second could also be the wiper switch itself. The location of the wiper governer is on the driver's side behind the dash ,see image below

graphic

I hope my assistance helped you and resolved your concern, if you need further assistance please ask.

Please note, your Deposit doesnt constitute a payment.Please click the 'ACCEPT' button to allow me to recieve credit for my work. Positive feedback is always appreciated. If you feel the answer was able to save you significant time and money Bonuses are welcome and appreciated.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No this is not the answer, the wiper delay on this model is on the motor, the dely worked prior to changing the motor, so I am sure that the govenor is not the answer, the delay switch, is it located on the motor ???????????

please see the image below, this is the electrical diagram for the wipers and power flow goes through the wiper mode switch to the interval governer and to the motorgraphic

the wiper motor is just a motor in this vehicle (unless the used motor you purchased was from a different year model) and the delay/interval feature is controlled by the governer. The switch sends the governer inputs from the switch and the governer itself controls the timed output to the motor to control the interval. If the interval stopt working since the motor was replaced i would look into the 'donor' truck the motor came off and verify it is compatible

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The f150 xl has a motor unto it's self, no other motor will work, it has two sets of wires
going into the motor, anyway give me time to check out what you have sent and I will get
back to you asap.
ok, please let me know, you can also use the diagram for refference as well, the motor SHOULD have 6 wires leading to it for that year
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am going to pull the top off of the old motor, I do believe this is the delay timer, so I will get back to you asap
just to make sure i understand your concern correctly. You are talking about the delay timer, as in shop term i would suspect you are referring to the interval operation. The top cover of the motor does have a 'cam' contact in it that controls the wiper run-park timer, which keeps the wiper motor turned on and supplies power to the motor untill it has finished its cycle, if this were bad the wiper motor would turn on when switch turned on but the motor would stop if you turned the switch off mid travel. If that is what you are referring to then it could be the cover on the motor