Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist

My 99 Ford Expedition has the rear air suspension system and

Customer Question

My 99 Ford Expedition has the rear air suspension system and seems to be leaking. Sometimes after sitting over night the rear sags and when I start it the compressor comes on and the bags inflate. The compressor will also come on sometimes when the vehicle is sitting, other times it doesn't. Also when going down the highway the rear feels "mushy". Is it something with the air suspension or could the shocks be worn out?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

The most common source for leaks are the bags themselves. They usually leak deep into the fold where the bag would need to be extended by raising the vehicle on a hoist so the bags are extended then checking for leaks with soapy water. There could be a spring solenoid leaking, but this is very uncommon. I have replaced bags on these many times for leaking.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Would the air bags not leak all the time? It seems to leak dowen sometimes and other times it doesn't and the check suspension system light doesn't come. Thanks for your help and had not thought about putting it on a lift and checking it with soapy water.
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 7 years ago.
It is possible that the bags can leak at different rates of speed. If they actually will go for periods of time without leaking then you could have a sticking vent/fill solenoid that won't always close completely not allowing the bag to seal off completely.