EMRSR
EMRSR, Master Certified Service Manager
Experience:  20 years with Ford, Master Certified
18136160

I have a 2001 Ford F250 Superduty with a 5.4 V8 Triton. It

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Ford F250 Superduty with a 5.4 V8 Triton. It has 203,900 miles on it. I just had the oil changed and the spark plugs. has K&N filter. flowmaster muffler. I do believe that when my radiator went out a while back my transmission oil got hot and i never changed that. it does look black. i heard that your not supposed to take all the transmission oil out only half of it and put half new. Also i cant find no where to change my transmission oil because they say i have over 100,000 miles on my truck. The problem however is that my truck started making a tapping noise real soft this afternoon. i could hear it when i let off the gas. now its so bad that when i fire up the truck, it is tapping for about 2 seconds and stop for 2 seconds and then do the same thing. if i give it some gas it will click/tap really loud. it sounds like its comming from the drivers side valve cover. i did not lose any horsepower and it runs fine. just taps alot. its getting worse really fast.
Category: Ford
Expert:  EMRSR replied 7 years ago.

Is the noise more from the front timing cver or under the valve cover?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I think its comming from the valve cover. im not 100% about motors though so im not positive but my dad looked at it a while ago and he said the valve cover. It was the big black cover. it was the driver side, but we didnt have the tool to touch the parts and hear where the noise is comming from.
Expert:  EMRSR replied 7 years ago.
Can I get a VIN # ?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

1FTNX20L8IED61116

Expert:  EMRSR replied 7 years ago.

There are a couple of Ford issue Technical Service Bulletins you need to see.

20819 1997-2009 MULTIPLE VEHICLE - 4.6L/5.4L - ENGINE TICKING AND/OR RATTLE NOISE
MULTIPLE VEHICLE LINES WITH 4.6L OR 5.4L ENGINE MAY EXPERIENCE AN ENGINE TICKING OR RATTLE NOISE THAT SOUNDS LIKE A STUCK TAPPET (HLA). THIS MAY BE DUE TO THE DETERIORATION OF AN AFTERMARKET OIL FILTER. VEHICLES WITH THIS CONDITION HAVE LOW OIL PRESSURE AT ONE CYLINDER HEAD ONLY, WHILE MAIN PRESSURES ARE NORMAL. DISLODGED MATERIAL FROM THE AFTERMARKET OIL FILTER BLOCKS THE CAM CAP OIL PASSAGE, EITHER AT CYLINDER #4 (RIGHT BANK REAR) OR CYLINDER #5 (LEFT BANK FRONT). FOR VCT EQUIPPED ENGINES, INSPECT THE VCT VALVE BODY AND THE OIL PASSAGES UNDER THE FIRST CAM CAP. DAMAGE TO ENGINES CAUSED BY AFTERMARKET OIL FILTERS ARE NOT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 05/29/2009

20511 1997-2008 VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 5.4L-2V/4V OR 6.8L-2V ENGINE - LIGHT TICK OR RATTLE TYPE NOISE FROM ENGINE AFTER COLD START
SOME E-SERIES, F-SERIES , EXPEDITION/NAVIGATOR EXCURSION AND BLACKWOOD VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 5.4L-2V/4V OR 6.8L-2V ENGINE MAY EXHIBIT A LIGHT TICKING OR RATTLING TYPE NOISE AFTER A COLD START WHICH MAY LAST UNTIL ENGINE WARM UP. THE NOISE IS DUE TO THE COMBINATION OF LIGHT LOAD OPERATING CONDITIONS AND THE NORMAL BORE CLEARANCES PRESENT IN A COLD ENGINE. THIS NOISE DOES NOT AFFECT PERFORMANCE OR LONG-TERM DURABILITY OF THE ENGINE.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 10/29/2008

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i dont think either one of these help out. My motor taps from the time i start it up to the time i turn it off.
Expert:  EMRSR replied 7 years ago.
Then I beleive there is either a chain guide issue or upper end oil flow issue, either way stop driving it. Pull the cover and see if oil is getting there. Continued driving will make it worse.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
A tire Kingdom mechanic is certified and says its comming from the left side valve cover. he says its something with the valves clicking/tapping. can that be fixed or what?
Expert:  EMRSR replied 7 years ago.
Yes fixable, but at what cost?... make sure you get an estimate, since from here I am not sure if it is under the timing cover or valve cover.