Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

1998 Ford Windstar: the Powertrain Control Module Relay located..v6

Customer Question

Where is the "Powertrain Control Module Relay" located in 1998 Ford Windstar v6 3.8 size engine?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Bamaman39 replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for using just answer.

The pcm relay is located under the hood in the BJB.Here is a diagram to help you find it.

CLICK HERE for diagram

I hope this answer has been helpful to you! If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

If this answer has been helpful please accept so I can recieve payment. Feedback is very

important to me so please leave accurate feedback for others to see my job performance.

Thank you

Carl

Just Answer Expert

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Not The PCM Module in the Fuse Box, but this computer controler:

http://info.rockauto.com/getimage/getimage.php?imagekey=930146&imageurl=http%DANGEROUS URL REMOVED
Expert:  Bamaman39 replied 5 years ago.

You asked for the pcm relay location.

I cannot receive web addresses

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
In rockauto, it's called "Powertrain Control Module Relay". The web address is the picture. Here is the picture:

graphic
Expert:  Bamaman39 replied 5 years ago.
Your 1998 windstar doesnt have that module in it.This module is for earlier modules.I look at the diagram and the only relay is in the battery junction box
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I wonder why they sold it in Rockauto, Ford Dealer, and other Auto part store for my car model. I bought it from a Ford dealer.

So, where is the PCM (the controler that control the engine) located in 1998 Ford Windstar then? Is it combine with the engine's computer?
Expert:  Bamaman39 replied 5 years ago.

I m going to make sure im not wrong on this.I am going to opt out and let another tech answer this.I do not want to give you the wrong answer.I do believe im right but just want to make sure

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok.
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.

What is your build date please?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Unfortunately, I don't have that infomation.
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.

If you Windstar is truely a 1998 and built after 8/31/07 then Bamaman39 is completely right. The relay is in the under hood fuse panel (battery junction box ) per his diagram. The build date is on the drivers door top left corner of the white tag. If it a 1997 let me know and I will assist with location.

Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The 1996 was the last year they used the CCRM (your picture) . Your relay is in the BJB.

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just came to Ford dealer to find out the location of this "PCM Power Relay", he showed me a picture of it. It's atttached to a core support (he said near radiator). However the picture is not really clear either so my mechanic still needs to guess where it is. The part number is XXXXX If you can help me give the exact location I will accept your answer, so my mechanic won't have to spend a lot of time looking for it. Thanks.
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.
If you look at the above picture I sent you will see it, its in the battery junction box. I have it marked.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX cannot be inside the junction box because the width of this part itself is probably as big as the width of junction box. If you can look for the part number (F78Z-12B577-AB), you'll know what I'm talking about. But, I know this part cannot be inside the junction box.

I saw the picture that the Ford dealer gave me, but unfortunately right now I cannot scan it and load it here. My mechanic has the picture now.
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.
You have the wrong part. The part you show in the picture is a CCRM. Your 1998 uses a 5 pin relay and its in the box.
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs